"City of Waters" Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis by goodfish
Minneapolis Travel Guide: 933 reviews and 1,636 photos
After several years of covering our vacation spots, it occurred to me that it was time to write about the place I call home. Vacation for most of us means leaving town so it's easy to forget that your stomping grounds just might be a destination for other travelers? Doh. That said, I've been tucking the camera into my pocket whenever we trot off to do something fun, and looking at my city with the eyes of a visitor. My Other Half is amused.. and thankfully long on patience as he does a lot of standing around while I'm playing Shutterbug.
Minneapolis credits its existence to the only waterfall on the Mississippi River: St. Anthony Falls provided the power for extensive lumber and grain milling in the 1800 and early 1900's. Flour production, specifically, became the predominant industry which fueled the growth of the prospering community and earned it the nickname, "Mill City." While the great mills are a thing of the past, the riverfront near the falls has been revitalized and preserved as a popular recreational area and historical monument to this city's roots.
But water, water everywhere is what makes Minneapolis unique. In addition to the mighty Mississippi there are at least 22 lakes within the city proper, and too many to count if you add inner and outer-ring suburbs and those of our twin city, St. Paul. Some of them are circled with biking/walking paths, some can be canoed, kayaked, sailed or have swimming beaches, still others are great angling spots, and the biggest of them provide all of the above.
I live in one of the fringe communities and count myself lucky to have the wide-open fields that remind me of my native Iowa plus the amenities of a metropolitan area all within shoutin' distance of the driveway. This upcoming winter (2013-14) I'll be doing quite a bit of updating on these pages to add new restaurants /things to do, edit some older tips, and replace some low-res photos with better versions as I acquire them so bear with me!
- Pros:Lots of outdoor activities, inexpensive, diverse, good local theater and music
- Cons:Long winters, sketchy public transit, not much downtown for kids
This is Minneapolis’ oldest continually operating church, and another of our treasures to thankfully escape demolition.... more travel advice
This is the grunge kid of the taprooms: all funky lighting, mismatched furnishings, psychedelic artwork and an eclectic... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Minneapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Waters"
- "A Terrific Town!"
- "Not Always The Great White North"
- "On Target in Minneapolis, Minnesota"
- "Minneapolis - City of Water"
- "Minneapolis, Minnesota"
- "The City of Lakes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minneapolis
- Hotels in Minneapolis
- Transportation in Minneapolis
- Nightlife in Minneapolis
- Restaurants in Minneapolis
- Shopping in Minneapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Minneapolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minneapolis
- 84 Reviews
- 354 Photos
- 58 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Minneapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minneapolis
Photos in MinneapolisSee All Photos (354)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 84 reviews, 354 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos