"Pubcrawling in Loretto" Loretto by goodfish

Loretto Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 18 photos

The Husband and I are both products of the rural, small-town Midwest and have never completely traded our roots for big-city life. As we live on the fringe of the suburbs, we're just down the road from cornfields, cow pastures, and whistle-stop villages when we get a hankering for the company of the pickups-and-feed-cap folks.

We have strict criteria for what we call a town in my neck of the woods. It must have (in no particular order) a gas station, a church, and a bar. Loretto barely squeaks by on the former as the gas station is out on the highway, but it far exceeds the latter as it has four bars. Four. This is, my friends, an amazing achievement for a population of 610, a one-block main street, and a whole 1/4 mile of city limits from one edge to the other. If you want to get technical about it, it has FIVE bars if you count Big Woods Saloon out by the gas station. As the founders of this pub-obsessed community were German and Dutch immigrants, that just may have something to do with it? Those German and Dutch folks make very good beer - I have some, ahem, personal experience there.

Even more astonishing, they all serve food. And two of the five are fancy-schmacy places where the wife just might make you leave your feed cap at home and comb your hair although I'm pretty sure they'd take you anyway. But wherever you have it, a little something to absorb the Saturday afternoon pints before tottering off to evening mass at Sts. Peter and Paul (just up the street) is recommended. Same goes if coming for a bar crawl as there's no hotel within shoutin' (or stumbling) distance.

I'm putting all my tips under nightlife even though we mostly go for afternoon taps and even though you can eat at any of them. Heck, they're all open at night so if you go when it's dark out, that's what we call nightlife. And then I don't have to mess around with listing favorite dishes and prices and all that nonsense.

Loretto is 25 miles west of downtown Minneapolis on Hwy 55, and 1/2 mile south on Country Rd 19.

• Pros:It has five bars
  • Cons:It has five bars
  • Last visit to Loretto: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 18, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I like your explanations of the dress codes: Comb your hair. Comb your hair again. That’ll be the day. And my favorite: If it needs to be dry-cleaned, you're overdressed.

goodfish Visits Here Frequently!

goodfish

“Itineraries are for sissies”

Badges & Stats in Loretto

Have you been to Loretto?

Latest Activity in Loretto