"Excelsior on the Lake" Excelsior by goodfish
Excelsior Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 59 photos
One of my very favorite escapes during the warmer months, Excelsior is a mere 20 minutes west of downtown Minneapolis but feels like a completely different world. Perched on the south side of Lake Minnetonka, this historic community prides itself on supporting local businesses and maintaining the relaxed, welcoming personality of a long-ago time.
Unlike some of the other local lake communities, it hasn't been "McManshioned" to death so a wander along shady side streets turns up scads of cheerful little cottages and charming, other-era houses with breezy front porches and pretty gardens.
Not to say that it's old fashioned or set in its ways. No way. You'll find upscale shops, art galleries, antique stores, a terrific coffee shop or two (no Starbucks here!), a movie theater, an excellent playhouse, microbrewery, and enough restaurants to make just about any hungry visitor happy.
And between a 14-acre lakeside park, docking for the majority of Lake Minnetonka cruise operations (as well as private craft), the LRT Regional Bike and Walking trail system, lots of seasonal events... you'll find something to do. Or find a spot by the lake and just do nothing.
Watch the boats.
- Pros:Friendly, casual and fun for all ages
- Cons:No hotels (yet) or fast, frequent way to reach by public transit from downtown
There are other ways beside the steamboat Minnehaha to sightsee Lake Minnetonka. Several companies offer pubic cruises... more travel advice
This is just one of the scrappy little craft breweries that have exploded onto the Twin Cities scene since the the... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Excelsior Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Excelsior
- Hotels in Excelsior
- Nightlife in Excelsior
- Restaurants in Excelsior
- Shopping in Excelsior
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Excelsior
- 17 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Excelsior?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Excelsior
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 82 reviews, 343 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 307 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos