"Grandest Junction in the West" Grand Junction by goodfish
Grand Junction Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 164 photos
We pulled into the largest of western Colorado towns with this song from folk favorite and Iowa homeboy, Greg Brown, humming through my head. With the only decent-sized airport in the region, we'd flown in and out of here via Denver on a previous hiking jaunt in 2004 and did the same, via Phoenix, for a return trip in 2011. Both stays were overnighters without a lot of time to explore all that this city - named for its location on the confluence of Colorado and Gunnison rivers - has to offer but just enough to take a look-see or two and find a favorite pub.
In 2004 we landed into town early enough in the day to take a run through Colorado National Monument, a gander at the area wineries (and spring for a very nice bottle of local port) and do some window shopping downtown. This last trip, a longer drive and cleaning two weeks of red dirt out of the rental truck left us just enough time for a return visit to that favorite ale house and a stretch of the legs down 'Hotel Row' on Horizon Drive.
It's a friendly, casual place, though; more cowboy boots and denim than the hiking boots and cargo shorts that were almost de rigueur in eastern Utah but with just as many outdoor activities within shoutin' distance. And like Greg, we'll be goin' back to this grandest Junction when we have a hankerin' for the red rock of our favorite region of the U.S.
We had a good time at this place on the 2004 trip and were pleased to find it still going strong in 2011. It's a biggish... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Grand Junction Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Town layout of the core"
- "Agricultural Town on the Upper Colorado River"
- "The Western Slope"
- "The Western Slope"
- "Grand Junction"
- "mmspooner's new Grand Junction Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Junction
- Hotels in Grand Junction
- Transportation in Grand Junction
- Nightlife in Grand Junction
- Restaurants in Grand Junction
- Shopping in Grand Junction
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Junction
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Junction
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Grand Junction?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Junction
Photos in Grand JunctionSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 82 reviews, 343 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 307 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (129)
Latest Grand Junction hotel reviews
- Hawthorn Grand Junction
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Americas Best Value Inn-Grand Junction
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Country Inns Of America
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Motel 6 Grand Junction Colorado
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Two Rivers Winery & Chateau
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- Mesa Inn Grand Junction
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Grand Junction
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Clarion Inn Grand Junction
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Super 8 Motel - Grand Junction
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013