"More than Coors" Top 5 Page for this destination Golden by goodfish

Golden Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 152 photos

I wish I had more to write about Golden 'cause it's a really good-looking town but we were only there long enough to check into a hotel, take a short walkabout and find a beer. We didn't take the Coors Brewery Tour, didn't see any of the museums and didn't even actually eat in a restaurant. What we did do was find a very nice hotel and maybe the best bar this side of the Rockies. I mean, isn't it more fun to DRINK beer than look at the factory it's made at? Priorities, priorities...

Golden is only about 12 miles from downtown Denver but feels like the old, wide-open West. It's just big enough, with a population of about 18,000, and a destination for outdoor adventurers (rock climbing, kayaking, biking, rafting, etc.). In fact, they have one of the few, man-made whitewater courses in the country - Clear Creek Whitewater Park.

There are just enough restaurants, hotels, coffee shops, services and activities in the area to keep travelers busy and happy and what they don't have it, you won't miss. I'll take this casual, laid-back little community over big 'ol Denver any day - we'll be back!

• Last visit to Golden: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 23, 2008

Comments

goodfish

“Itineraries are for sissies”

Badges & Stats in Golden