"Sacred Tseyi" Canyon de Chelly National Monument by goodfish
Canyon de Chelly National Monument Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 342 photos
2012: time to update these pages with higher-res photos and new links...
Canyon de Chelly has been home to 5 periods of Native American culture for nearly 5000 years: the longest uninterrupted period of occupation anywhere on the Colorado Plateau. First settled by hunter/gatherers (Archaic) from 2500 - 200 BC, it was home to (successively) Basketmaker, Ancestoral Puebloan, Hopi and Diné (Navajo for "The People") communities over the next several millenia with the Diné still living there today.
This place is called Tseyi (pronounced "say-yee") by the Navajo and means "In the rock." Several misspellings and mispronunciations by, first, Spanish and then American settlers resulted in the name most of us know it by: Canyon de Chelly (da-shay).
Unlike some of the other archeological sites in the southwest, Canyon de Chelly is still very much a living community and to the Diné and Hopi people, an ancient and holy part of their culture so specific guidelines apply for respectful exploration. It is good to remember that aside from the fragility of historic ruins, this is a sacred religious site and resting place for both cultures and their ancestors.
It is also the site of several horrific massacres of their people. In 1805 a raid by Spanish troops ended in the deaths of 115 Diné - including women, children and elderly - who had fled for cover in a cave on the North Rim. In 1864, Colonial Kit Carson's forces killed or captured Navajo living in the canyon, destroyed their homes, fields and livestock, and marched the survivors 300 miles to Fort Sumner in New Mexico. Many perished during that journey and many more during four years of captivity before being allowed to return home. It is difficult to believe that such a beautiful, peaceful place could have witnessed such sadness.
The picture above is of Spider Rock. Navajo legend has it that this is the home of Spider Woman, who first wove the map of the night sky and the Universe and who passed the art of weaving to The People.
- Pros:Beautiful, under-appreciated canyon with a long, fascinating history
- In a nutshell:Highly recommended
I found the overlook trails a little too confining in a few spots so went wandering off - being careful of any ... more travel advice
As mentioned on my main page, Canyon de Chelly is a bit of an anomaly as it’s on land owned by the Diné so the NPS and... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Canyon de Chelly National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sacred Navajo Area"
- "Canyon de Chelly: A National Treasure?"
- "canyon de chelly national monument"
- "A brief encounter with a special place"
- "Canyon in Indian Territory"
- "Sacred Tseyi"
- "Canyon de Chelly"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Hotels in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Transportation in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Nightlife in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Restaurants in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Shopping in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Canyon de Chelly National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Music lovers game!"
- Commented on one of goodfish's Canyon de Chelly National Monument tips
- updated a Canyon de Chelly National Monument Travel Page "Sacred Tseyi"
- Wrote a Review Voices of the Ancients in Canyon de Chelly National Monument Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Watch your feet"
Photos in Canyon de Chelly National MonumentSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 77 reviews, 318 photos
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 307 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos