"Dam on the Ye" Top 5 Page for this destination Edam by goodfish
Edam Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 192 photos
The crowds and construction in Amsterdam got to us after a couple of days and we fled the insanity for something a bit less clamorous. Jumping a bus at Centraal, we strolled into the 16th-century village of Edam a mere 40 minutes later and it took less than half a minute after that for our jangled nerves to settle.
Most Americans will be familiar with the round, wax-coated cheese of the same name? Bingo: it originated in this region. But Edam wasn't all about cheese: in the 14th and 15th centuries this was an important shipping port and ship-building center with its own harbor and bustling trade business until locks were installed to reduce inland flooding. Eventually the harbor silted in, and the business of cheese-making moved on to big factories throughout the Netherlands and other parts of the world. Instead of merchants, shipwrights and sailors, the village now bustles with tourists who come to the old square for costumed re-enactments of the long-ago cheese market on summer Wednesdays.
While time marched on where industry was involved, the soul of this little town remains firmly in place. Centuries-old houses, churches and municipal buildings, wisely protected from the ravages of urban renewal, line picturesque little canals and narrow streets, and charming cafes and coffee shops provide welcome respites for wandering shutterbugs and history buffs.
On that late autumn Thursday, the sun - which had stubbornly refused to shine on Amsterdam - finally decided to smile. And so did we.
(tips under construction)
- Pros:Friendly, pretty, great architecture, easy trip from Amsterdam
What should you bring home as souvenir of Edam? I'm sure you already know that answer to THAT question but here's where... more travel advice
Think "Holland" and windmills come to mind. Edam has a very fine specimen that dates between 1626-35 that was used to... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Edam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dam on the Ye"
- "Say CHEESE! say EDAM!"
- "Most famous for its cheese"
- "the town and its cheese"
- "City of Cheese"
- "Edam, home of "the" cheese"
- "NOT ONLY CHEESE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edam
- Transportation in Edam
- Restaurants in Edam
- Shopping in Edam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edam
- 12 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Edam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edam
Photos in EdamSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 82 reviews, 343 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 307 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos