"Magical Capri" Top 5 Page for this destination Capri by goodfish

Capri Travel Guide: 304 reviews and 936 photos

On a rainy Wednesday morning, we caught the train from Rome to Naples, took a hair-raising (!) taxi ride to the port, and then a 45-minute hydrofoil cruise to the island. It had poured buckets for the entire train route along the coast and I was feeling a little cranky as it looked like we were in for a dismal day. Too seasick to stay inside the storm-tossed cabin, I grabbed onto something solid on the aft deck and rode out the rain, across the bay and towards a bit of rock in the distance that grew bigger - and strangely brighter - with each passing minute. Just within sight of Marina Grande, our boat magically shed the heavy, damp mist and emerged to gentle, turquoise-blue waves under dazzling sunlight. Ahead, Mt. Solaro towered above lush, green hillsides covered in pueblo-like tiers of houses in pale pink, yellow, coral and white - all of them tumbling cheerful flowers from entry arbors and patio pots.

It's just another day in the enchantment called Capri.

Once part of the Sorrentine Peninsula and occupied since at least Palaeolithic times, the isle was favored by several Roman emperors who had magnificent villas constructed here - the ruins of which can still be seen. It endured invasion by Saracen and Ottoman forces, suffered through plague, was governed under several different flags, became an popular, 19th-century artist's haven and is now a holiday destination for everyone from the fabulously wealthy to budget-minded day-trippers.

While some write the island off as a tourist trap due to tour group overcrowding and the high prices of hotel rooms, meals and designer shops, those with a sense of adventure, a good pair of shoes and a desire to escape the masses will find breathing room away from the busy piazzas. Climb a mountain, pick through a ruin, wander impossibly narrow avenues, explore some of the island's natural wonders, rent a scooter or find a quiet perch over the sea and just sit - it's impossible to be bored in paradise!

Here's a website with a few more tidbits on Capri's history:

NOTE: I've placed more tips in my Italy pages, under customs, warning/dangers and transportation, as they apply to general travel within the country. Reference those if interested?

• Pros:Gorgeous views, great hiking and walking
  • Cons:Expensive, piazza areas very crowded during the day
  • In a nutshell:I needed a week here
  • Last visit to Capri: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Kate, I'm sure my visit to Capri would have been A Breath of Fresh Air! It's such a beautiful and famous place!~

• goodfish's Profile Photo
      Aug 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM

It is, Victor. A lot of people say it's too touristy but if you really wish to leave the crowds behind, you can. We enjoyed our short stay there very much.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2011 at 8:49 AM

A great looking place, and I’m glad to hear there are some free things and some affordable places for us normal folks, not just the very rich. I like that ceramics shop with ceramics going all the way up the stairs.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2010 at 2:14 AM

Kate, magical, indeed are your captivating comments woven like a fine multicolored tapestry. I'Il return to your Tips at another time, but bedtime beckons (It's 2:15 a.m.!) Doug

• sailshs's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Fun to see, but make sure you get out of their way!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Nice page Kate

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2010 at 6:54 AM

Nice page goodfish! We have to go there sometime. It seems that is much better than I heard before.

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Great tips on Capri! Looks like there are other things to do besides the grotto , which I think we'll skip unless we can swim there

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Excellent stuff, I'm heading there next month and your tips will ease my journey. Thank you.

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Amazing picture of the island! So beautiful... thank you for your tips.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Capri is definately on my list. Love those ceramics.

goodfish

“Itineraries are for sissies”

Badges & Stats in Capri