"Where to ?" goodfish's Profile
I really should change this homepage shot in Zion National Park as it's a few years old but I don't have the heart; it's a tiny little capture of one of my most perfect vacation days EVER and a great memory. The outfitter in Springdale, who rented us the proper equipment, was in the graphic arts field like myself until he did his first trip into the Narrows. Guess you could say he had an epiphany - right there between the majestic walls of this slot canyon - and his life hasn't been the same since: quit the job, sold the stuff, moved to Utah and became a champion of the experience for other adventurers. That's one lucky man.
I live in Minneapolis where it's really nice about 6 months of the year and really sort of not so nice the rest of the time. Our winters can be long (!) up here in the north but we're good at bundling up and having a little fun with them. Here we are at the St. Paul Winter Carnival freezing our behinds on one of the ice sculptures outside a favorite pub. It may have more to do with the several pints we've just finished than the festival but never mind - we look happy, right? Whatever. Cabin fever does bizarre and frightening things to people.
It really is great here most of the time, and winter just makes us appreciate spring and summer that much more.
Writing tips is painful and slow going for me. As I'm happiest wandering aimlessly in a blissed-out state of euphoria, it's difficult to remember where I've been. Photos come out of the camera a week later and I'm mystified: where the hell? It's rather poor form to just post the things with the comment, "Great place. Go here. I've no idea where it is."
Right; a 10 on the VT scale of annoying posts aside from "I'm going to ____. Is there anything to do there?"
So, to avoid a hail of rotten, virtual vegetables for uselessly taking up space on this site, the hours of backtracking, map-poring and head-scratching begin. I could hide my own Easter eggs, I swear. Anyway, if I get the silly things written while the museum, park, restaurant, hotel, ruin, etc. is still there, it's a major accomplishment.
There's so much about travel that's not about what you saw that made it an adventure. It's the day that didn't start so well but turned into one of the best; connections with interesting people; fleeting moments of magic that you can't share as a "how to" with other VT'ers; happy accidents.
Speaking of happy accidents, here's a shot from a camera meltdown a few years ago. Ordinarily, having a camera go kaput on vacation would be kind of a bummer? My beloved Canon rescued a stressful weekend of over-scheduled events, a major city water problem and some high-maintenance travel companions by producing a few accidental pieces of art as its swan song. Fun stuff.
Happy trails, all!
2012: three weeks in Italy/Virtual Tourist Euromeet in Bergamo
2013: TBD - too many balls in the air
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Islamabad Hotels
- Grand Cayman Hotels
- Niagara Falls Hotels
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
- Bacolod City
- Baclaran Hotels
- Tai Po Hotels
- Laoag City
- Beijing Hotels
- La Spezia
- Ottawa Hotels
- Puerto Rico
- Palm Springs Hotels
- Bradford Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,075 Reviews
- 3,539 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 58 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
- Commented on the Gelato, Rome travel guide
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The most-asked questions?"
- Wrote a Review Getting here without wheels in Cabrillo National Monument Transportation
- Commented on one of goodfish's Rome tips
- goodfish and HeshamMA are now friends.
- updated a Cabrillo National Monument Travel Page "Lighting the Way"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The adventure starts here"
updated their Personal Page "The Travel Tree"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 77 reviews, 318 photos
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 307 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22149 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8354 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos