"Where to ?" goodfish's Profile

I really should change this homepage shot in Zion National Park as it's a few years old but I don't have the heart; it's a tiny little capture of one of my most perfect vacation days ever and a great memory. The Springdale outfitter who rented us the proper equipment was in the graphic arts field like myself until he did his first trip into the Narrows. Guess you could say he had an epiphany - right there between the majestic walls of this slot canyon - and his life hasn't been the same since: quit the job; sold the stuff; moved to Utah; became a champion of the experience for other adventurers. That's one lucky man.

I live in Minneapolis where it's really nice about 6 months of the year and really sort of not so nice the rest of the time. Our winters can be long (!) up here in the north but we're good at bundling up and having a little fun with them. Here we are at the St. Paul Winter Carnival freezing our fannies off on one of the ice sculptures outside a favorite pub. It may have more to do with the several pints we've just finished than the festival but never mind; we look happy, right? Whatever. Cabin fever does bizarre and frightening things to people.

It really is great here most of the time, and winter just makes us appreciate spring and summer that much more.

Writing reviews is a slow and painful process for me. I'm happiest wandering aimlessly in a blissed-out state of euphoria so its often difficult to remember where I've been. Photos come out of the camera a week later and I'm mystified: where the hell? It's rather poor form to just post the things with the comment, "Great place. Go here. I've no idea where it is."

Right; a 10 on the VT scale of annoying posts aside from "I'm going to ____. Is there anything to do there?"

So to avoid a hail of rotten, virtual vegetables for uselessly taking up space on this site, the hours of backtracking, map-poring and head-scratching begin. I could hide my own Easter eggs, I swear. If I get the silly things written while the museum, park, restaurant, hotel, ruin, etc. is still there, it's a major accomplishment.

There's so much about travel that's not about what you see that makes for a great adventure. It's about getting lost and finding a treasure that the guidebook ignored; connections with fascinating people; fleeting little moments of magic that can't be shared as a "how to" with other VT'ers; happy accidents.

Speaking of happy accidents, here's an interesting shot from a few years ago. Ordinarily, having a camera meltdown on vacation would be tragic? My beloved Canon rescued a stressful weekend of over-scheduled events, a major city water problem and some high-maintenance travel companions by producing a few accidental pieces of art as its swan song.

"A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.”
John Steinbeck, "Travels with Charley - In Search of America"

2014: Another hiking trip in Arizona, Southern Colorado and Utah.
2015: Maybe Euromeet and maybe back to Paris. Or maybe on to Germany. Or maybe Austria. Or London. Or maybe...

• Intro Updated Feb 25, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
goodfish's Profile Photo

goodfish

“Itineraries are for sissies”

Real Name