"Where to ?" goodfish's Profile
I really should change this homepage shot in Zion National Park as it's a few years old but I don't have the heart; it's a tiny little capture of one of my most perfect vacation days ever, and a great memory. The Springdale outfitter who rented us the proper equipment was in the graphic arts field like myself until he did his first trip into the Narrows. Guess you could say he had an epiphany - right there between the majestic walls of this slot canyon - and his life hasn't been the same since: quit the job; sold the stuff; moved to Utah; became a champion of the experience for other adventurers. That's one lucky man.
I live in Minneapolis where it's really nice about 6 months of the year and really sort of not so nice the rest of the time. Our winters can be long (!) up here in the north but we're good at bundling up and having a little fun with them. Here we are at the St. Paul Winter Carnival freezing our fannies off on one of the ice sculptures outside a favorite pub. It may have more to do with the several pints we've just finished than the festival but never mind; we look happy, right? Whatever. Cabin fever does bizarre and frightening things to people.
It really is great here most of the time, and winter just makes us appreciate spring and summer that much more.
Writing reviews is a slow and painful process for me. I'm happiest wandering aimlessly in a blissed-out state of euphoria so its often difficult to remember where I've been. Photos come out of the camera a week later and I'm mystified: where the hell? It's rather poor form to just post the things with the comment, "Great place. Go here. I've no idea where it is."
Right; a 10 on the VT scale of annoying posts aside from "I'm going to ____. Is there anything to do there?"
So to avoid a hail of rotten, virtual vegetables for uselessly taking up space on this site, the hours of backtracking, map-poring and head-scratching begin. I could hide my own Easter eggs, I swear. If I get the silly things written while the museum, park, restaurant, hotel, ruin, etc. is still there, it's a major accomplishment.
There's so much about travel that's not about what you see that makes for a great adventure. It's about getting lost and finding a treasure that the guidebook ignored; connections with fascinating people; fleeting little moments of magic that can't be shared as a "how to" with other VT'ers; happy accidents.
Speaking of happy accidents, here's an interesting shot from a few years ago. Ordinarily, having a camera meltdown on vacation would be tragic? My beloved Canon rescued a stressful weekend of over-scheduled events, a major city water problem and some high-maintenance travel companions by producing a few accidental pieces of art as its swan song.
"A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.”
John Steinbeck, "Travels with Charley - In Search of America"
May 2015: Three weeks in Belgium and Germany, including meeting up with the VT Euromeet crew for 4 days in Aachen.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,305 Reviews
- 4,655 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 67 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
- Commented on the Los Angeles travel guide
- Posted in Travel Egypt Forum "Re: Worried about travelling "
- Commented on mindcrime's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Where to ?"
- updated a Edam Travel Page "Dam on the Ye"
- goodfish and aysell8680 are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Hike: Cohab Canyon Trail in Capitol Reef National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Random Acts"
PhotosSee All Photos (4655)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 90 reviews, 388 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 42 reviews, 135 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 31 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues