"Where to ?" goodfish's Profile
I really should change this homepage shot in Zion National Park as it's a few years old but I don't have the heart; it's a tiny little capture of one of my most perfect vacation days EVER, and a great memory. The outfitter in Springdale, who rented us the proper equipment, was in the graphic arts field like myself until he did his first trip into the Narrows. Guess you could say he had an epiphany - right there between the majestic walls of this slot canyon - and his life hasn't been the same since: quit the job; sold the stuff; moved to Utah; became a champion of the experience for other adventurers. That's one lucky man.
I live in Minneapolis where it's really nice about 6 months of the year and really sort of not so nice the rest of the time. Our winters can be long (!) up here in the north but we're good at bundling up and having a little fun with them. Here we are at the St. Paul Winter Carnival freezing our fannies off on one of the ice sculptures outside a favorite pub. It may have more to do with the several pints we've just finished than the festival but never mind - we look happy, right? Whatever. Cabin fever does bizarre and frightening things to people.
It really is great here most of the time, and winter just makes us appreciate spring and summer that much more.
Writing tips is painful and slow-going for me. As I'm happiest wandering aimlessly in a blissed-out state of euphoria, it's difficult to remember where I've been. Photos come out of the camera a week later and I'm mystified: where the hell? It's rather poor form to just post the things with the comment, "Great place. Go here. I've no idea where it is."
Right; a 10 on the VT scale of annoying posts aside from "I'm going to ____. Is there anything to do there?"
So, to avoid a hail of rotten, virtual vegetables for uselessly taking up space on this site, the hours of backtracking, map-poring and head-scratching begin. I could hide my own Easter eggs, I swear. Anyway, if I get the silly things written while the museum, park, restaurant, hotel, ruin, etc. is still there, it's a major accomplishment.
There's so much about travel that's not about what you saw that made it an adventure. It's the day that didn't start so well but turned into one of the best; connections with interesting people; fleeting moments of magic that you can't share as a "how to" with other VT'ers; happy accidents.
Speaking of happy accidents, here's a shot from a camera meltdown a few years ago. Ordinarily, having a camera go kaput on vacation would be kind of a bummer? My beloved Canon rescued a stressful weekend of over-scheduled events, a major city water problem and some high-maintenance travel companions by producing a few accidental pieces of art as its swan song. Fun stuff.
Happy trails, all!
2013: San Diego in April; Cancun in December for a wedding. We sold our house this summer and bought another so the travel budget is toast.
2014: TBD. Tossing about another hiking trip in New Mexico, Southern Colorado and Utah.
2015: Euromeet in Belgium, and maybe back to Paris. Or maybe on to Germany. Or maybe Austria. Or maybe...
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Parish of Portland Hotels
- Key West Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Cagayan de Oro City Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Baclaran Hotels
- Sheepshead Bay Hotels
- Southern Province Hotels
- Seattle Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- Broad Ripple Hotels
- La Sal Junction Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Winnipeg Hotels
- Addis Ababa Hotels
- Beijing Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,125 Reviews
- 3,810 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 62 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
- Commented on goodfish's travelogue
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: language problem"
- Wrote a Review Church of the Immaculate Conception about Old Town in San Diego Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Church of the Immaculate Conception"
- goodfish and keida84 are now friends.
- updated a Nashua Travel Page "Little Town in the Big Woods"
- Commented on the Italy travel guide
updated their Personal Page "The Travel Tree"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 82 reviews, 343 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 307 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos