"Chilled out Spanish coastal town..." Top 5 Page for this destination Almuñécar by amapola66
Almuñécar Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 150 photos
We have spent a few summers in Almunecar, with the odd long weekend and overnight stop here and there. The last two summers we visited over the August feria week which is great fun with a fantastic firework display.
Almunecar is a typical Spanish town on the coast of Granada (Costa Tropical) and is the most popular tourist destination for Granada's townies during the summer season. First time I stayed, I only had a few days off and desperately needed to get some sunshine and rest. I stayed at the Hotel Casablanca on the sea front and made the most of my few days chilling out, sampling my favourite Gazpacho soup and boquerones fritas, exploring the little shops and tapas bars of the old town and generally not watching the clock. I also encountered the most delicious pineapple ever !
Have since stayed many times with the Small People and and variety of friends and family in village houses in the old part of town (see my accommodation tips). We have a great time swimming, eating and getting 'flamenco'd out'. Just what's needed for a summer chillout
Almunecar is similar to Brighton in that it has some little old cobbled streets with small shops and boutiques in the center and is a working town. all year round. Life is more traditionally Spanish than other towns along the coast and therefore lived out on the street, with family members of all ages chatting while buying bread, veg and gathering in the tapas bars..
Along the 19 km of local coastline visitors can choose from a large variety of beaches and small coves, ranging from sand to mostly shingle and pebbles. The water is always warm in the summer. It also offers good diving and exploration of caves and 'old wrecks'.
Almunecar also boasts its own micro climate, and therefore an abundance of fruit of good quality. 15 mins down the coast is Salobrena, where I spent the summer of 2005 and close to the now popular with Brirts, Nerja in the other direction. It is a perfect spot for exploring the Granada region with it's mountain villages and seaside towns, not forgetting Granada itself, which is around an hours drive up the mountain.
Almunecar is not glamourous or glitzy- or a palce for fantastic nightlife - it is more a place to swim, eat, chill out and generally recharge the batteries. Totally relaxed and unpretentious really.
Almunecar has an excellent selection of chiringuitos - relaxed beach bars where you can have a very reasonably priced snack or a full blown meal without leaving the beach. They also sell those fabulously salty home made crisps on the ebach and I alwyas indulge!
The old town, overlooked by the castle, is a mass of winding little cobbled streets housing small shops and bars to explore and where we usually rent a village house for the summer.
In the Parque de Majuelo, the charming and highly skilled guitar and cahon maker Antonio has his workshop (pictured with me in front). You should drop by and say hello if you visit Almunecar. There are also some ancient Roman ruins for those who are into that kind of thing. The park hosts concerts throughout the year including flamenco and the very popular jazz festival.
- Pros:Beaches, Climate, Handy for Granada, Chilled out, Child friendly
- Cons:Most beaches are pebble , but all in all a great mix of facilities
- In a nutshell:Perfect for those seeking a simple, unspoilt Spanish resort, not for those seeking the glitz & glam of Marbella etc
August fiesta and feria in Almunecar is a week long party. There are a variety of events ending in an extremely... more travel advice
Playa de Maro is an unspoiled beach just before you reach Nerja from Almunecar. It's slightly isolated and you reach it... more travel advice
- See All Modern house reasonable rent slightly...
- See All Nerja Taxis
- See All Best pulpo
- See All Genuine flamenco bar/restaurant
amapola66's Related Pages
Almuñécar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hilltop town on the Costa Tropical"
- "Chilled out Spanish coastal town..."
- "Almunecar - great break"
- "Some Roman bits and a good castle......."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Almuñécar
- Hotels in Almuñécar
- Transportation in Almuñécar
- Nightlife in Almuñécar
- Restaurants in Almuñécar
- Shopping in Almuñécar
- Warnings and Dangers in Almuñécar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Almuñécar
- 33 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Almuñécar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almuñécar
- Uploaded a Photo to "Modern house reasonable rent slightly out of town"
- updated a Almuñécar Travel Page "Chilled out Spanish coastal town..."
- Wrote a Review Fiesta de la virgen de Antigua & feria in Almuñécar Local Customs
- Commented on one of linheath's Almuñécar travel pages
- Posted in Travel Almuñécar Forum "Re: Outlets or big shops near..."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 64 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almuñécar Intro, 33 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venezuela Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos
- Granada Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos
- Boston Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Salobreña Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichiriviche Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Aruba Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos