"Day Trip to Girona" Girona by amapola66
Girona Travel Guide: 443 reviews and 1,269 photos
As we had so much rain during our Costa Brava visit, we did alot of trips in the car to different places, caught up with some culture, ate alot and revisted some old haunts.
One such trip was a day in Girona to meet some friends off the plane. We made the most of it by going early, having a good stroll around the city and having lunch.
The city of Girona is a walled city of Roman origin and located at a strategic point on the route between the Pyrenees and Barcelona.
There is much to see in the way of a Cathdedral, art & archaeology and an ancient Jewish quarter (El Call). The River Onyar divides the city from west to eat, most visitors spend their time on the east side in the old medieval part of the city.
The Rambla, the main shopping street, bursts into bloom on Sunday mornings for the flower market. Shops and cafés shelter beneath the great arches. To the right is the labyrinth of lanes, alleys and stone steps of the Jewish quarter.
We climbed up the steps in the the narrow streets behind the cathedral to the city walls. The view over the city, and indeed the whole plain, is breathtaking.
There are plenty of bars and restaurants and we had a very strong Carejelio (black coffee, usually served in a small glass, with alcohol which is like rocket fuel) in a simple cafe on the way back to the car.
A great spot for some photography.
(photos copyright amapola05)
Look at the views of the mountains and rooftops taken from high up in the old city.
Wonderful and well worth the climb.
- Pros:Lots of cultural activity, Historical Old town, Fantastic Views, Great fr a day trip or weekend.
- Cons:A few days is probably enough unless you are there for a specific reason
- In a nutshell:Beautiful Old Catalan City, Well worth a visit
amapola66's Related Pages
Girona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval beauty"
- "Girona – medieval splendour of Catalonia"
- "Really worth it!"
- "Girona in Spring"
- "The GIRONA experience!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Girona
- Hotels in Girona
- Transportation in Girona
- Nightlife in Girona
- Restaurants in Girona
- Shopping in Girona
- Warnings and Dangers in Girona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Girona
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Girona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Girona
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 64 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almuñécar Intro, 33 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venezuela Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos
- Granada Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos
- Boston Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Salobreña Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichiriviche Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aruba Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos