"Amapola's Nerja Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Nerja by amapola66
Nerja Travel Guide: 304 reviews and 782 photos
Went with KB, the Small Person & no. 1 Mum, to Nerja at end of May for a weeks break and to celebrate my birthday. (Well, you do have to compensate for getting older)!
Nerja is East of Malaga on the Costa Del Sol and although there seem to be an ever increasing number of Brits that have taken a shine to the place, it is a somewhat quiter resort compared to the west side...Nerja is a working Spanish town as well as a resort and although it is laid back, it has international restaurants of every kind without spoiling the Spanish feel of the place too much. It has also manage to avoid being blighted by the concrete high-rise scenario of some other popular resorts, although there does seem to be a never-ending building of apartment blocks and villas. The old quarter of the town is still virtually unchanged with narrow, winding streets, whitewashed houses with wrought iron terraces overflowing with geraniums. There is a happy, relaxed feel to the town.
May is a lovely time to go to Nerja, not too crowded, lively enough yet relaxed and we had perfect weather during our last visit there at that time.
We have made several different trips to Nerja, at different times of the year and have found it to be a warm, friendly place, popular with all Europeans. The best time to visit, is spring and autumn, when it is not too crowded. It is also a good base from which to explore other areas in the region.
By the way - According to a family member, from the Netherlands, the word 'Nerja' is a rude one in Dutch, so don't be suprised if Dutch people burst out laughing if you say the name of the place ; )
Edit - returned back to Nerja for a day trip Aug 06, I'm amazed at how English it has become, still relaxed and pleasant though...
- Pros:Lovely place to visit in May/June, convenient for a short break
- Cons:Avoid in July/August. Too many English people!
- In a nutshell:Pleasant, laid back Spanish beach town out of season
Sevillanas is a dance associated with flamenco but it is not strictly flamenco and is believed to be an old Castilian... more travel advice
The Hostal San Miguel is in the center of Nerja, a few minutes from the bus station. The Hostal has 12 rooms and there... more travel advice
amapola66's Related Pages
Nerja Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nerja, Costa del Sol, Spain."
- "Amapola's Nerja Page"
- "Nerja - we really enjoyed our time there!"
- "A strange mixture..........."
- "Life makes me visit it again and again"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nerja
- Hotels in Nerja
- Transportation in Nerja
- Nightlife in Nerja
- Restaurants in Nerja
- Shopping in Nerja
- Warnings and Dangers in Nerja
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nerja
- 17 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Nerja?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nerja
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 64 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almuñécar Intro, 33 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venezuela Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos
- Granada Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos
- Boston Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Salobreña Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichiriviche Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Aruba Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos