"Amapola's Dieppe Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Dieppe by amapola66
Dieppe Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 183 photos
Headed off to this lovely little French town for a weekend visit with the Small Person and the Godparents..We travelled on the 7.30 Seacat from Newhaven (Nr Brighton) - This journey is normally 2 hours (4 hours by ferry) .
On this occasion, the sea was rough and there was a thick fog. Visability was nil. When the Captain of the Seacat welcomed us with 'Good Morning and welcome to the roller coaster ride to Dieppe' we wondered what on earth was in store for us. We also were advised not to drink fizzy drinks or eat sweets and cakes by a steward. The journey started out as a gentle rolling from side to side, slowly progressing to a full on rock once in the open sea. Godparent 1 and the Small Person spent the entire journey on the deck, huddled together (it was not warm, although it was August), I sat right in the middle of the boat with other Godparent trying to tell ourselves we were not feeling sick. People were throwing up in the loos and we were very grateful to arrive in Dieppe some 3 hours later bedraggled but reasonably intact.
Once recovered, we checked into the Hotel Windsor and went out for some great food in a local restaurant near the hotel. We spent the weekend eating huge meals (especially good if you like fish and seafood), drinking some great wine and generally soaking up the Normandy culture.
The beach is rather stoney, like Brighton beach, but has a wild quality that I rather like. There is a fairground on the seafront in the summer months which the Small Person enjoyed.
It's a very relaxed town, better suited to eating, than clubbing and perfect for a weekend family break with the kids.
(pics copyright amapola 2005)
One of our best times was had after climbing up through the castle and the views of Dieppe were spectacular (see things to do tips).
A passing French photographer took a shot of the Small Person and I too, I wonder where it ended up?
There were some very inspiring images all round really...
- Pros:Close to home, Relaxed, Great food, Easy to get around, Good for kids
- Cons:Cold weather, Stoney beaches
- In a nutshell:Great place for a weekend away, Close to home & Good for small people too
One thing I love in France, and that is Le Fromage. Especially after a three course meal of a typical French... more travel advice
Avoid the the last ferry back to Newhaven from Dieppe. What can I say, it's full of nutters! Get a cheap room and stay... more travel advice
amapola66's Related Pages
Dieppe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amapola's Dieppe Page"
- "Memories relived."
- "One day I'll be back"
- "Dieppe, an easy town to love."
- "Weekend in Dieppe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dieppe
- Hotels in Dieppe
- Transportation in Dieppe
- Nightlife in Dieppe
- Restaurants in Dieppe
- Shopping in Dieppe
- Warnings and Dangers in Dieppe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dieppe
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Dieppe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dieppe
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 64 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almuñécar Intro, 33 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venezuela Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos
- Granada Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos
- Boston Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Salobreña Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichiriviche Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aruba Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos