"Amapola's Punto Fijo Pagina" Punto Fijo by amapola66
Punto Fijo Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 12 photos
We have just returned from a trip to Paraguana, Falcón state northwest Venezuela, in which lies a city called Punto Fijo . It lies at the southwestern tip of the bulge of the Paraguaná Peninsula, which is a tax free region on the shores of the Gulf of Venezuela, 20 miles or so south of the island of Aruba (a 15-20 min plane ride).
The city emerged during the 1960s as the peninsula's major urban centre. There are two small ports ; Punta Cardón and Amuay, and the airport airport of Las Piedras. (There was supposed to be a ferry service starting from Aruba to Punto Fijo spring 2005, but so far, it hasn't materialised). There are some beautiful beaches within the region.
My Dad (an opera singer and retired professor) lives around half an hours drive from there , on the beach at Los Taques
The peninsula is a desert surrounded by the Caribbean Sea. Apparently, it used be be an island, but is now joined to the mainland by the 'neck', (Paraguana being the 'head'). This area has been declared a national monument and is home to varied fauna including goats,mountain cats and numerous bird species and you can explore the sand dunes of nearby Coro.
Oil refineries blot the landscape in Punto Fijo. They can look pretty spooky at night with the flames burning high in the sky.
This is one of the the largest oil refineries in the world. I believe there are a Dutch company and a North American company there.
My brother told me that the workers there usually don't live as long as they should, terrible.
- Pros:Family live there, Dry heat, Lovely people, Hardly any Mosquitos, Cheap Shopping, Non-Corporate
- Cons:Oil refineries blot the landscape, Caution needed in some areas, Very hot, arid and windy, Smell of Gas in many parts, poverty
- In a nutshell:Bustling Desert town, Interesting to visit, but wouldn't want to live there
"The goat population in Venezuela has been estimated in a million and a half heads". Hmm I think most of these goats... more travel advice
We have visited this place in Punto Fijo many times, for bread, snacks, pizza etc and is a local meeting place to have a... more travel advice
amapola66's Related Pages
Punto Fijo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Punto Fijo
- Transportation in Punto Fijo
- Shopping in Punto Fijo
- Warnings and Dangers in Punto Fijo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Punto Fijo
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Punto Fijo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Punto Fijo
- Posted in Travel Almuñécar Forum "Re: Outlets or big shops near..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mis Zapatos Nuevos !"
- updated a Punto Fijo Travel Page "Amapola's Punto Fijo Pagina"
- Wrote a Review The Venezuelan Goat and a Sense of Humour ... in Punto Fijo Local Customs
- Commented on one of carolinaEspada's Punto Fijo travel pages
Photos in Punto FijoSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 64 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almuñécar Intro, 33 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venezuela Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos
- Granada Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos
- Boston Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Salobreña Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichiriviche Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aruba Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos