"Gokceada" Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada by basak
Gokceada Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 221 photos
I've been to Gokceada to visit my uncle and his family who has a summer house in the island.
Gokecada is the biggest island of Turkey. It is a quite and peaceful place in the North of Agean Sea. The furthest west point of Turkey is in the island.
The island is very windy and this makes it a perfect place for wind-sorfing. According to the legend, the God of Winds was in love with the Gokceada and for that reason it was sending kisses to the island consistently.
Since the island is very windy and very hilly, there is not much settlement by the sea. Most of people live in the center of the island and that causes people have less connection with the sea. During my stay, sometimes i forgot that i was on a island since i don't see the sea while i was wandering around.
Having 3 dams, many springs and lakes, the island is one of the most watery islands in the world. However, i can't tell that it is a green island. Most places are rather gray.
Once upon a time Greek people were living in the island. Now, there are not many Greeks inhabiting in the island, however there are many churches and old Greek houses . Istanbul Greek Patriarch is one of those Greeks who was born in the island.
- Pros:peaceful athmosphere, clean water
- Cons:changing ferry times
There is the ruins of an old Castle on Kalekoy (Castle Village). If you go behind the Castle, you will see a wonderful... more travel advice
The place gets its name from the Greek Lady who was running it. Now, she has passed away but his husbond runs the... more travel advice
basak's Related Pages
Gokceada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GOKCEADA, FIRST "CITTASLOW" ISLAND OF THE WORLD."
- "Heavenly island."
- "WINDY ISLAND"
- "Well kept Mediterranean secret"
- "GOKCEADA, ISLAND OF BEAUTIFUL SUNSETS..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gokceada
- Hotels in Gokceada
- Transportation in Gokceada
- Nightlife in Gokceada
- Restaurants in Gokceada
- Shopping in Gokceada
- Warnings and Dangers in Gokceada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gokceada
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Gokceada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gokceada
Photos in GokceadaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bursa Intro, 31 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sivas Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adana Ili Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Seattle Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Ankara Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beypazari Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Zeytinbagi Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Turkey Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos