"Growing up in Lake Wales, Florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Wales by sunlovey
Lake Wales Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 81 photos
Lake Wales... a small little blip on the map of Florida located between Tampa and Orlando.
What it's like there...
Lake Wales has one high school, two colleges, two McDonalds, a mediocre mall & a gigantic Walmart.
The people are of the small town, conservative, Southern mentality mindset. Like country music with a passion. Love going to Lake Wales High School Football games. Are about two years behind in fashion. Know everything about everybody else. Drink Bud light a lot. Go to church on a regular basis. Voted for George W. Bush. I'm not saying all of these things are bad per say, but they give you an idea of where I'm coming from.
Lake Wales Mardi Gras & high school keg parties in the orange groves
Nice things: The smell of said orange groves when the orange trees are blossoming, it's heavenly.
The Lake Wales Art Center, formally the town Catholic Church with beautiful architecture of the Spanish Mission period, great musical performers from all over the world and rotating art exhibits worthy of visiting.
Chalet Suzanne, an enchanting and high-priced Inn-type hotel that attracts the rich and famous with its own landing strip. Great restaurant, really funky cool architecture.
Places to eat:
Mall food court
Better places to eat:
Cherry Pocket Fish Camp
Kitschy tourist trap:
Spook Hill- Ancient Indians cause your vehicle to roll backwards up a hill....ooooooooh!
Interesting little stop:
Florida's Natural Orange Juice Visitor Information Center- sample their various juices, watch a movie about the groves, growing oranges, producing orange juice. Buy orange related souvenirs.
Eventually I will transfer and expand a lot of this into tips. Not that you'll ever go here, but if you do, I want to help you see/do/eat what you need to see/do/eat OK?
I should add that living in a small town like this was a big inspiration for me when it came to getting out there and seeing the world. Living here as a young person, you just had to know there was so much more...
If you are in Lake Wales during the Christmas season by any chance you simply MUST visit Pinewood. Pinewood is a historic home on the grounds of Bok Tower that is decorated to the hilt. The house is very Mediterranean/Spanish mission in architecture. It's gorgeous. When it's open to the public at Christmas there are usually live musicians or carolers.
This is the fountain at Pinewood. Took this picture as inspiration for a fountain I hope to one day have myself!
This sleepy little town actually comes alive during it's annual Mardi Gras celebration. Expect an all-day affair... more travel advice
sunlovey's Related Pages
Lake Wales Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Place of Repose"
- "Spook Hill and Bok Tower"
- "Growing up in Lake Wales, Florida"
- "lake wales florida"
- "Bluegaelic's Lake Wales Page"
- "Bok Tower and Gardens"
- "Lake Wales - My Home Town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Wales
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Lake Wales?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Wales
- Posted in Travel Egypt Forum "Re: Thoughts & suggestions on my..."
- updated a Lake Wales Travelogue "Lake Wales Art Show on a MUGGY overcast day"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lake Wales Art Show on a MUGGY overcast day"
- Wrote a Review Lake Wales Art Show along the shore of Lake Wailes in Lake Wales Local Customs
Photos in Lake WalesSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Marrakesh Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Palm Beach Intro, 30 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Key West Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Miami Beach Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Playa del Carmen Intro, 3 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florida Keys Intro, 31 photos, 4 travelogues