"Home Sweet Home" Richmond by Little_Lou_Lou

Richmond Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 273 photos

Richmond is a small city in central Kentucky. Population about 30,000. It is a college town so during the school year it is a bit frustrating. Many of the people here have grown up in this town (which I find strange as I didn't grow up anywhere in particular). The town is growing very quickly. There have been many changes since I came here a little over 6 years ago. Over all it's an ok place, but not my favorite place that I have lived.

"music" store

I just had to complain for a moment! I went to a local "music" store here in Richmond today. I have a thorough dislike for the place anyway, but it was something I THOUGHT I had to do. The oldest is starting violin lessons and he needs one, so I went in to make an appointment to get him measured for it. These people are nuts!!!! I looked at some things while I was in there and not only are they riduclously over priced (both PeaceCraft and the Drum Center are cheaper) but they also have no idea what they are talking about!!! The guy proceeds to tell me the difference between a mandolin and a violin...The fretts! I know, Trish...nuts! I then had to explain to him what a ride cymbal is and that a violin is not a wood wind instrument! I know that these are things that many people might not know, but in a MUSIC STORE!!!!!????? Any way, on the way out I noticed they had a sign for drum lessons, and thought it might be easier for them to do it than myself. I asked about it and they said it was 25 dollars per hour and the guy is a student at Eastern! I have been playing longer than he has been alive and they want $25 for that!!!??? I called Don Wilson in Lexington and it is only $5 more for theirs and they are fully insured and any credit earned is transferable to a new instrument, not to mention the fact that they take care of any maintenance and will replace the bow free of charge if anything happens to it. I am PRETTY SURE that I am going there instead! I already have a tip on how bad this place is on my other blog, but I didn't realize it was that bad! Any REAL musician in their right mind will go somewhere else!

Life in Richmond

Life in Richmond can get a bit slow for my tastes, so I enjoy visiting other cities in the area as well as hanging out with friends. The strange thing is that I have now passed that line I had of living somewhere for a period of time, and it begins to feel a bit less stagnate here. I am realizing that I have friends, family, work and various social occassions to fill my time which I have not necessarily had in other places. I moved so much that my resume looks more like a sampler platter! Home is where you hang your hat....this is home.

• Pros:There are some strange folks around here.
  • Cons:There are some strange folks around here.
  • In a nutshell:Not too bad
  • Intro Updated Oct 17, 2009

• geanster's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Hastings has new address as part of Richmond Centre and phone number. crosland.com/retail/properti...

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Hi Lady. Your Richmond tips are up to your usual standards. Hope to see you back on line soon.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2007 at 4:08 AM

They Might Be Giants! Surely one of the most quotable bands EVER! "Not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet. Make a little birdhouse in your soul. While you're at it leave the nightlight on inside the birdhouse in your soul!"

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2007 at 8:37 AM

Look forward to the Bourbon amongst the Blue Grass - one day ;-)))

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2006 at 6:57 PM

I wish I could! Gonna go visit family in California (missed a reunion of sorts d/t being ill last summer)! When a 92 year old wants to see you, you go! :)

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 12:34 PM

I really like your 'Life in Small Town America' Travelogue -- very interesting insight -- thank you.

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2006 at 5:59 PM

I had houseguests (well, still do) and entertained them last night with that fine film...I'm certain I could do the entire dialogue....Maybe we should put on a play! The Origin of Love, of course, is a classic!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 4:07 PM

Good schools are important - right? :) As a denizen of a real small town in Alaska I could relate well!

• Cham's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2006 at 7:28 AM

I especially like that last image in your basement... i'm thinking it's a drumskin but from afar it reminds me of a dragon's eyeball or a planet...

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 4:46 AM

Some great photo's here! Blu

Little_Lou_Lou

“My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough.”

Badges & Stats in Richmond

Have you been to Richmond?

Latest Activity in Richmond