"Toamasina" Toamasina by quapaw

Toamasina Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 65 photos

Tamatave

I did not exually go in to the city of Toamasina (Tamatave is the french name which is used often too) but we just made a stop over on the airport. But I just thought I would share these pretty cool Aye aye pictures with you. Looking back at it we were fortunate enough that our plane was delayed for two hours. Therefore we decided to go to Parc zoologique Ivoloina to kill some time. From the airport you can easily get there in about half an hour. So if you have a stopover in Tamatave for two hours or longer I would absolutely recommend this!

Daubentonia madagascariensis

I knew that there were Aye ayes in this zoo so that was pretty cool for my girlfriend. I had already seen the Aye aye and other Lemurs in parc Tsimbazaza in Tana but this was defenitely not as cool as here.
Parc Ivoloina has about 12 species of lemurs of which some are free ranging and fairly tame. It also has a variety of reptiles and amphibians. There were no other tourists when we visited and the guard was really friendly and helpfull. Some of the free ranging lemurs came and sit on our shoulder when he gave us some bananas. I explained that I was doing a lemur research and I asked if it would be possible to see the Aye aye (It was still light then so the Aye ayes were still a sleep). Later, when the sun went down and the Aye aye couple woke up we found ourselves feeding them lychees inside their cage. This was really awesome. It is such a bizarre animal and to see it from centimeters away eating fruit out of your hand is unforgettable. I see it as a mix between a pig and bat.

We came back from Maroantsetra in a small twin otter plane. Not very good for your motion sickness, but very good for making pictures. It flies very low and very slow. Here is the view from the plane looking at Ile Sainte Marie and Ile aux nattes about half an hour before landing in Tamatave.

• Last visit to Toamasina: Jun 2005
  • Intro Written Aug 22, 2005

Comments

quapaw

“Taste and discover cultures to develop your own”

Badges & Stats in Toamasina

Have you been to Toamasina?

Latest Activity in Toamasina