"Meeting Jojocan in Edmonton" Edmonton by keida84

Edmonton Travel Guide: 626 reviews and 1,056 photos

VT Meet

Let me say right here, "I like Canada." My father was born in Toronto so I have ties to Canada but I have not really had many opportunities to spend time there.

I had to go through 3 airports to get to Edmonton. LA to Vancouver, Vancouver to Calgary and Calgary to Edmonton. The people I encountered , the help I received from Air Canada and the airport ground crews made traveling easy and enjoyable. I have the greatest of praise for these hard working people who graciously helped me navigate the airports and customs.

I had the pleasure of meeting VT member, Jojocan in Edmonton. We stayed 2 days in Leduc where she had a business meeting, we almost got evicted from the hotel and I had to interupt Jo in her meeting to remedy the problem. We had a good laugh!

Then we moved into the West Harvest Inn for another 2 days. We went to the massive and jaw dropping "West Edmonton Mall" which is considered to be the largest shopping mall in the world. It boasts a water park, IMAX theatre, an amusement park replete with a roller coaster that rivals 6 Flags, submarine rides, sea lion show, minature golf and an ice rink!

But Edmonton is more than just the mall. Edmonton is an eclectic mix of oil refineries, parks, museums and the Universities. It is a vast grassland with blue spruce trees and groves of poplars and white birch trees. And car washes! There are more car washes in this town than anyplace I have ever been and with good reason: the dust and mud that is present in the spring from all the sand and gravel on the roads from the snowy winter months.

Jojo introduced me to IKEA too. A seemingly endless display of furniture and household items. We were there for an hour and a half. Jo said that was her shortest trip ever! Clearly my taste differ from Jo's but I was still able to find a couple of things I liked.

On Sunday we were joined by fellow VT member, Darby2 (Dave or "Darbs" as I like to call him). A benevolent soul, Darbs treated us to brunch at the "Sawmill" where a lot of his graphic art is on display. Darbs joined us and became our tour guide as Jojo popped the top on the 'stang and we tooled around Edmonton.

The Muttart Pyramids

We visited the Muttart Conservatory. Jo had never heard of it before and I was quite interested to see it. Darbs took us there on our tour. Four large glass pyramids housing a variety of foliage: Temperate, Tropical, Arid and Show.

I brought an American Flag T-Shirt for Jojo and what does she do? The silly girl wears it to a business meeting, the sme one I had to roust her from when we almost got evicted from the hotel. Prior to that incident she attended a luncheon where there were Canadian ranchers who, shall we say are not so sympathetic to the American Flag. Needless to say she zipped up her sweatshirt quickly.

No worries I snapped this shot when we were out sightseeing in the pouring rain.

• Pros:Trees, friendly people
  • Cons:dusty in the spring, Fort Edmonton Park was closed
  • In a nutshell:It's not all about the Mall!
  • Last visit to Edmonton: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2005

• BahruzM's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Hello
    I am from Azerbaijan. My wish was to see Edmonton for a long time. Can you to show me

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 7:10 AM

I can hardly believe a year has gone by since you were here... do come back again. You see a lot of changes.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2005 at 7:16 AM

Great page...but whats a zamboni??? Blu

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 3:24 PM

Interesting tips on Edmonton. I am the Edm tip editor, and I haven't been there in 25 years. I wonder if Darby or Jojo want a VT job? By the way, WEM feels almost twice the size of MOA.

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2005 at 2:25 PM

yes i checked out his link!! do you know who has the one of you 'crowning' me?? i neeeeed it!!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 12:34 PM

That is one BIIIIG Mall in Edmonton. I'm not sure if it's the same size as the Mall of America in Minnesota! The next time I go to Tim Horton's I'm going to try a maple bar. It sounds yummy!!! Hugs. Lori.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2005 at 2:59 PM

Interesting hotel tip, I now feel I have an intimate knowledge of both the human and pigeon latrines ;-)

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 1:25 PM

Ahhhhh, Edmonton IS grand, isn't it?? And perhaps you wanted me to have YOU hair color??? My auburn tresses have never been compared to strawberries :)

• trek06's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2005 at 10:21 PM

Yes, Edmonton not all about the mall, and Calgary isn't all cowboys (but there are lots of urban cowboys at Stampede). Glad you had a great time in my home province. Come back and see us sometime. Your VT pages are inspiring!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2005 at 11:28 PM

40 Beoing 747's ???? It's in your General tips! PJ

keida84

“Travels by armchair now and sometimes by train. Profile photo: VT trading card..”

Badges & Stats in Edmonton

Have you been to Edmonton?

Latest Activity in Edmonton