"How does one pronouce "Chincoteague"?" Top 5 Page for this destination Chincoteague by keida84
Chincoteague Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 159 photos
Just coming to this place struck terror in my heart as I was not sure I could converse with the locals because I did not know how to pronounce the names of their towns. Thank heavens Jill (Jelw) filled us in. The locals say "Chink Teeg" and call Jill's home town of Onancock as "Nan-Cock" The people who make their homes here contract almost every word they speak. It is really quite funny to listen to their speech, I suppose since I was on their turf that I was the one with the accent. I say Chincoteague and pronouce it as "Chink-o-tea-gue". Anyway you look at it it is a mouthful for sure.
In the foreground, a Snowy Egret is in the water, but if you look carefully you can see in the distance, a band of Chincoteague's wild ponies. (My camera has a zoom on it, but it works only when it decides to work, I need to have that repaired). Anyway, It was wonderful to see the ponies in person.
A bit of history about Chicoteague, the Indians named this area "Gingoteague" which meant "Beautiful Land Across the Water". Once the white man came in there were many disputes over the land (why does that not surprise me) and eventually the land was divided and used for a livestock range. The population of Chincoteague Island did not show increase until around 1845, when over 100 families settled and raised cattle and horses. Later on a brick tower was constructed for a lighthouse, that tower still stands today, a sentinel over the shoals of Chincoteague.
Keeping in with the rest of Viginia's Eastern Shore's a vote was taken and the Island of Chincoteague pledged their allegiance to the Union in 1861 in the "The War of Northern Aggression" otherwise known to us Yankees as the "Civil War".
Today, Chincoteague Island is popular with bird watchers with over 260 species of birds, this includes the Canadian Geese, Herons, Snowy Egrets and swans.
The most favorite residents are the wild ponies, which were made famous by Marguerite Henry's book "Misty of Chincoteague". Legend has it that these remaining herds are descendants of horses from a wrecked Spanish galleon. The horses broke out of the ship and swam to shore. Today every July there is the famous "Wild Pony Round-up auction".
I got to meet VT'er Jelw for a quick visit on Sunday morning. Jill is a bright, happy, intelligent woman with compassion and a deep spirituality. I enjoyed every minute of the time we got to spend together.
Here we are on Assateague Island Nattional Seashore and the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. There are 37 acres of the wide expanse of this breathtaking beach to explore, there are miles of trails and fresh-water marshes which wend their way through "Loblolly Forests" (The loblolly-shortleaf pine forest association is found primarily on the Coastal Plain.. It is found on moist and poorly drained soils. At higher elevations on the Coastal Plain, it is found on drier soils and often on abandoned farmland.)
- In a nutshell:A Quaint Paradise
We were a bit pressed for time the day we visited Chincoteague and Assateague Islands. Jill showed us around the town... more travel advice
Depending on what time of year you visit you will need a wind breaker and good walking shoes. If it is late Fall or... more travel advice
keida84's Related Pages
Chincoteague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fabulous Little Island"
- "Quiet Island"
- "How does one pronouce "Chincoteague"?"
- "Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge at Assateagu"
- "Chincoteague and Assateague Islands"
- "TOMHET's new Chincoteague page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chincoteague
- Hotels in Chincoteague
- Transportation in Chincoteague
- Nightlife in Chincoteague
- Restaurants in Chincoteague
- Shopping in Chincoteague
- Warnings and Dangers in Chincoteague
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chincoteague
- 7 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Chincoteague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chincoteague
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Planning a trip with Kids in..."
- updated a Chincoteague Travel Page "How does one pronouce "Chincoteague"?"
- Wrote a Review Walkin', Yes indeed I'm Walkin' in Chincoteague Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walkin', Yes indeed I'm Walkin'"
- Commented on one of jelw's Chincoteague travel pages
Photos in ChincoteagueSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Oahu Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 89 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventura Intro, 30 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue