"Lancaster, Pennsylvania The Amish Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Lancaster by keida84

Lancaster Travel Guide: 255 reviews and 343 photos

LANK-aster not Landcaster

Being a Californian I was promptly admonished when I missed pronounced "Lancaster". In CA we say "Landcaster" however in PA it is pronounced, "LANK-aster". Either way this is a beautiul part of the Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutch) country.

We usually stay either in Churchtown or in New Holland (see my travel pages for the bed and breakfast links) and then travel all through Lancaster County.

See my "Intercourse" page for a very funny drive you can take. Whomever said the the Amish don't have a sense of humor didn't see the map for Lancaster County.

There is so much to see and do. We have family in this area so we visit a fair bit but there is always something new to discover.

Bring an appetite, Lititiz has soft pretzels, Hershey has the chocolate, and then there is "scrapple", a Pennsylvania breakfast staple. There are also working farms that offer traditional Amish dinners. I have yet to try the "Shoo-Fly" pie.

Anyway you look at it, Lancaster County is a place not to miss.

• Pros:Great food, picturesque, friendly people
  • Cons:Too much food and just exactly, is "scrapple"?
  • In a nutshell:A Dutch (Deutch) wonderland
  • Last visit to Lancaster: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2005

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Hi Keida, found your tips helpful as we are having an overnight stay in Lancaster early June. A long way from home, Perth Australia.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2006 at 2:14 PM

very interesting page. i´m hoping to visit that part of the US after the big baltimore meeting.

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2005 at 9:46 AM

This page has grown since last I visited it... and now that I'm living in the original Lancaster, thought it was time to check it out again... still love it :-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2005 at 2:59 PM

Nice page = loved your Christmas Star

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 8:48 PM

Those accomodations sound lovely. Glad you liked my pages. you should try putting in some extra photos yourself. Lesley

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 7:05 AM

it's VT 7 the www, see a place of ineterst in the east coast, then end up in the same place via the west coast - Churchtown B n B was the drawcard ;-)))

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2005 at 1:32 PM

Do the Hamish still make the Jayco camper?

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 7:22 PM

Ah, hah! So you too stayed at Churchtown Inn! Didn't know they were selling. She gave us the marvelous granola. Loved it. We enjoyoed the stone cottage down the street.

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2005 at 4:50 PM

Mennonites hang stars in their homes at Christmas? Are you quite sure?? I thought they ate detritus off the sea bed and turned into prehistoric fossils. (..'er, on second thoughts that was probably ammonites...)

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 5:04 PM

no butt massages here, eh?? and are you serious with the intercourse directions??? lol!!!

keida84

“Travels by armchair now and sometimes by train. Profile photo: VT trading card..”

Badges & Stats in Lancaster

Have you been to Lancaster?

Latest Activity in Lancaster