"Gettysburg National Historical Park" Gettysburg National Historical Park by keida84
Gettysburg National Historical Park Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 65 photos
More lives were lost in the 3 day battle of Gettysburg than in the entire duration of the Vietnam War A visit to Pennsylvania is not complete without a side trip to Gettysburg and Gettysburg National Historical Park.
According to the National Park Service, "Gettysburg National Military Park incorporates nearly 6,000 acres, with 26 miles of park roads and over 1,400 monuments, markers, and memorials."
In the cemetery is the site where Lincoln gave the "Gettysburg Address" on November 19, 1863.
Touring this Park gave me continual shivers. Gettysburg is believed to be one of the most haunted areas of the United States. We had 2 experiences while in Gettysburg. One in town and one in the park. I will tell you about the one in town.
My husband who is quite the realist went out to the local Turkey Hill to get his requisite fill of Tasty Cake Tasty Pies. It was about 5:30 in the evening. As he walked he saw a man in Confederate Military garb, he nodded to him but he said the man just looked through him like he wan't there. My husband continued walking, stopped, turned and looked back and the man was no where to be seen. Paul said no cars had come by that could have picked him up and he could not have walked away that fast as he himself only traveled several hundred feet. Ghost? Hard to say, but my generally stick-to-the-facts, prove with scientific method husband was a little pale when he came home from his Tasty Pie run.
We had another odd experience in the area around Little Round Top as we walked through the trails and into the thicket and woods. It is definitely haunted and leaves you with a disconcerting feeling, like something you cannot put your finger on.
We recently re-visited the park during the wintertime with my brother, Michael and his wife, Heather.The trees are stark and barren. The park seemed more lonely, empty and void of life. The actual battle was in the summer but visiting the park in winter captures a sense of waste I have not experienced before on prior visits.
Michael and Heather were both deeply moved by their visit to Gettysburg, especially by the visit to the cemetery. Michael was a Marine and the creed of the Marines is to leave no man, dead or alive, behind. The unknown graves of these men who never got to live their lives is a sobering sight. When you visit the cemetery and you see rows upon rows upon rows upon rows of unmarked, unknown graves you cannot help but grieve for the lives that were never lived and the men that were lost.
- Pros:Placid beauty
- Cons:War made this town famous
- In a nutshell:Rich in historical significance
November 19, 1863 Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation: conceived... more travel advice
During the Battle of Gettysburg, (July 1,2 &3, 1863) over 50,000 men died on the fields in . Adams County,... more travel advice
keida84's Related Pages
Gettysburg National Historical Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gettysburg National Historical Park"
- "Battlefields Never Forget"
- "A Nation Divided Cannot Stand"
- "Gettysburg Battlefield"
- "Gettysburg National Military Park"
- "Gettysburg: an ironically peaceful place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gettysburg National Historical Park
- Hotels in Gettysburg National Historical Park
- Restaurants in Gettysburg National Historical Park
- Shopping in Gettysburg National Historical Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gettysburg National Historical Park
- 10 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Gettysburg National Historical Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gettysburg National Historical Park
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Where to buy"
- updated a Gettysburg National Historical Park Travel Page "Gettysburg National Historical Park"
- Wrote a Review The Gettysburg Address in Gettysburg National Historical Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Gettysburg Address"
- Commented on one of AKtravelers's Gettysburg National Historical Park travel pages
Photos in Gettysburg National Historical ParkSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Oahu Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 89 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventura Intro, 30 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue