"San Buenaventura or Just Plain Ventura" Top 5 Page for this destination Ventura by keida84
Ventura Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 361 photos
I lived in San Buenaventura for 8 years and if you had to write "San Buenaventura" on your return address you would understand why it has been shortened to "Ventura." The truth be told it was actually shortened because "San Buenaventura" would not fit on the railroad timetables.
Ventura was founded by the Chumash Indians nearly 1500 years ago. It was known as "Shisholop".
Ventura takes it name from the popular Mission San Beunaventura, named for Saint Bonaventure. The mission was founded by Father Junipero Serra in 1782.
Legend has it that following the great Santa Barbara earthquake in 1812 a tsunami rolled through the channel with the water reaching the steps of the mission.
Ventura has remained fairly isolated from the rest of California in part due to the 2 rivers, The Ventura and the Santa Clara. It wasn't until the 1920's when oil was dsicovered and the Ventura Oil Fields were among the most productive in the nation. Owners such as Hobson Oil and Union oil added a lot of money to the city coffers.
When the freeway came through did Ventura see any real growth in population, in the last 20 years the population has doubled.
Erle Stanley Gardner wrote the "Perry Mason" novels in the 1950's. in the historic section of downtown Ventura.
There are many things to do, places to see, scenery to be enjoyed. In August, The Ventura County Fair comes to Seaside park, The Ventura Harbor is open year round with many shops, restaurants and marina. There is the Sheraton Four Points Hotel which has a "Boatel" for those visiting by boat. Beach bike trails that connect Ventura beaches with the town of Ojai.
Close to the harbor is the Olivas Adobe Historical Park. Great summer concerts under the stars, silent movies and come Halloween, candlelight tours of this haunted house.
The historic downtown district of Ventura is not to be missed. For those who like architecture the Bank of Italy Building is found on the corner of Oak and Main Streets. It was "blown up" in the John Travolta movie, "Swordfish", there are "Ghost Tours" led by noted ghost hunter, Richard Senate. The Albinger Archaeological Museum & the Ventura County Museum of Art.
Every August the Ventura County Fair comes to Seaside Park in Ventura. I have always enjoyed the fair and look forward to it every year. There is a lot to do and see; of course there are the requisite carnival rides, every year they seem to get a little more "over the top" than in previous years. The "carnies" hawking their carnival games as young teen-age men step up to throw a basketball through a crooked hoop in hopes of winning a GIANT stuffed animal for their lady fair. Invariably, one guy does win it and then is seen carrying this thing around all day long!!
We have our favorite thing to do. Kris likes the exhibition halls where the shopping is held. I like the photography (I never agree with the judges of these exhibits). There are some very talented people in this world and a good majority of them are in Ventura County.
The Gardens and landscaping exhibit is always a fond favorite--it amazes me that people come to put up these elaborate displays--replete with waterfalls and ponds, concrete stepping stones and walkways.
Fair food is fun to eat and we are glad we did a lot of walking to burn it off!! Wurst with sauerkraut for Kris, hot dog for me. The cinnamon rolls were to die for, Kris had one not me. Cotton candy (floss) and salt water taffy rounded out the nutritional portion of the day's menu!!
California is a BIG state with A LOT of traffic so make sure you plan accordingly what seems to be a relatively short distance can actually take a very long time to get where you are going because of the traffic.
DRIVING DISTANCES AND TIMES:
Ventura to LAX:
43.3 miles 69.68 km
1 1/4 hours clear traffic
Ventura to San Diego:
157.19 miles 252.97 km
3 1/2 hours clear traffic
Ventura to San Francisco:
306 miles 492.45 km
9 hours clear traffic
Amtrak Train: 1 800-872-7245
Metro Link 1 800-371-5465
Yellow Cab: 659-6900 (Ventura)
Oxnard: 805 385 7545
Ventura County Airporter 805 650 6600
Roadrunner shuttles: 800-247-7919
Police, Fire, Ambulance: Dial 911
- Pros:Clean air, friendly people, lots to see and do
- Cons:Traffic, overcrowding and poor public transportation
- In a nutshell:Red skies at night make for a beautiful Ventura sunset
If you happen to be In the City of Ventura on the 4th of July,or on the first Sunday in December, there is a Street Fair... more travel advice
I have lived in this County for almost 15 years and never went to the Albinger Archaeological Museum. This is a... more travel advice
- See All Ventura's Best Kept Secret
- See All Summertime Fun: The Ventura County Fair
- See All Home and Garden Accents
keida84's Related Pages
Ventura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Buenaventura or Just Plain Ventura"
- "Ventura - What Sunsets!"
- "San Buenaventura or, as we know it, Ventura"
- "My True Love lives in Ventura, California!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ventura
- Hotels in Ventura
- Transportation in Ventura
- Nightlife in Ventura
- Restaurants in Ventura
- Shopping in Ventura
- Warnings and Dangers in Ventura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ventura
- 30 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Ventura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ventura
- Posted in Travel Kauai Forum "Re: Budget for one month..."
- Commented on one of keida84's Ventura tips
- updated a Ventura Travel Page "San Buenaventura or Just Plain Ventura"
- Uploaded a Photo to "San Buenaventura or Just Plain Ventura"
- Wrote a Review Holiday Street Fairs July and December in Ventura Local Customs
Photos in VenturaSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Oahu Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 89 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventura Intro, 30 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue