"Santa Barbara" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Barbara by keida84

Santa Barbara Travel Guide: 656 reviews and 1,213 photos

The Town Where It All Began

Santa Barbara holds special meaning for me as it was the town where I met and married my husband, Paul.

He was a professor at UCSB and a mutual friend of ours set us up on a blind date and the rest, as it is said, is history.

We were married at El Presidio de Santa Barbara, a restored Catholic chapel (no longer sanctified by the church) but run by the state.

Our wedding pictures were taken in the Dorothy Keck Memorial Gardens which are some of the most beautiful gardens you'll ever see.

We went back to the gardens 11 years later and had a hard time recognizing the tree in our wedding portrait as it had grown even larger.

Santa Barbara is one of the prettiest places to get married.

AND...

My husband reminded me, has great shopping too!

If you are getting married in SB a great place for cake is Henning's Cake on Figueroa.

El Paseo Nuevo is the big shopping plaza on State Street that houses Nordstrom, Macys, April Cornell, and California Pizza Kitchen. There is Coldwater Creek, Pierre La Fond's and Aveda too.

Shop for antiques in Summerland and Montecito.

La Arcada is a shopping courtyard with interesting sculptures, a great photo opportunity.

Accommodations: A Secret Garden Inn and Cottages, The Glenborough Inn, Prufrock's, Cheshire Cat, the Four Season's Biltmore and the El Encanto are some just to name a few. Then for those of you who may enjoy a pampered camping experience take a look at the El Capitan Canyon accomodation tip where you can rent a Safari tent for the night.

And there are some restaurants that we as former "locals" like to go to.

Check out the tip for the I Madonnari Festival in May

• Pros:Great weather and lots to do
  • Cons:Can be very expensive
  • In a nutshell:The French Rivera...West!
  • Last visit to Santa Barbara: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2007

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 1:17 PM

David was so excited when I gave him the Love Hearts!!! Thanks again, you're a peach :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 6:28 PM

Loved the travelogues! What a beautiful place, Santa Barbara. The bed and breakfast was so lovely. Enjoyed your well-written narratives and vibrant photographs.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 9:26 PM

Until I read your page and tips ... I hadn't thought of SB as romantic! Perhaps it's the company I've been keeping :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2005 at 9:13 AM

Loved the chalk painting & the campsite sounds cool = my kind of camping!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 4:22 PM

Santa Barbara really is a lovely place. Hans and I were truly impressed with the area. Pampered Camping at El Capitan Canyon - What a Hoot!!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2005 at 6:50 AM

Gr8 tips Kat! Think I could even get my wife to try the pampered camping. We really liked Santa Barbara, but only had half a day & a night there after we'd driven down from Monterey on the way to LA.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2005 at 8:56 AM

Superb stuff and well worth a visit

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2005 at 8:58 PM

Great santa Babara page & tips. I love SB and have stayed in B&Bs there years ago but not the same as you highlighted here. Thanks again for the tips !

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 7:41 PM

I wonder if Charlie Chaplin is among the bronze statues at La Arcada.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2005 at 1:44 PM

Nice page and travelogue. it's a pity I spent only a few hours there but, I can't complain, even with my low budget I enjoyed Santa Barbara a lot :-)

keida84 Visits Here Frequently!

keida84

“Travels by armchair now and sometimes by train. Profile photo: VT trading card..”

Badges & Stats in Santa Barbara

Have you been to Santa Barbara?

Latest Activity in Santa Barbara