"Historic San Juan Capistrano" Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano by keida84
San Juan Capistrano Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 469 photos
Kristi and I took a day trip to San Juan Capistrano braving the LA freeway traffic and arrived on a beautiful sunny April day. Not a swallow in sight though. I believe SJC has been devoid of swallows for some time now. The mission had some new art and cultural exhibits which made the trip a bit more interesting. The gold altar fixture is currently undergoing a restorative cleaning. It should look beautiful when it is completed.
My sojourns took me to the historic town of San Juan Capistrano (SJC) again. The first trip in April of 2005, I met VT'er cnango The second trip in November of 2005 was with my "sister" Kris TazMocha It was my gift for Kris's birthday. Instead of giving "stuff" we are giving experiences as gifts--so much less to dust!
Kris and I took the Amtrak train, Kris had never ridden board an Amtrak train before and we both agreed this is a great way to get to SJC, no LA or Orange County traffic to cope with. We dis-embarked the train right in the heart of the town and walked to our hotel which was about a 5 minute walk at the most. The local merchants offer complimentary walking maps to help you navigate the town.
SJC has the historic Los Rios District which is a funky street across the train tracks which has historic houses that are over 100 years old. Shops, restaurants, a tea house, services and professional offices inhabit this tree lined, flower filled street.
The Mission SJC is the seventh mission built out of the 21 and is considered to be the "jewel" of the missions. Built in 1776 this spanish adobe is, in my opinion, the prettiest mission I have seen so far. The Great Stone Church was destroyed in an earthquake of 1812.
I have lived in California all my life and to discover a new "town" ranks high in my book. The surrounding areas of South Orange County (Laguna, Dana Point, Balboa Island) are lovely places to visit but this quaint gem of a town is a wonderful find!
- Pros:The town is a "walkable" town, so much to see and do
- Cons:Cars honk a lot in SJC, Pedestrians need to be cautious
- In a nutshell:A town made for walking and quiet reflection
When we visited the area of San Juan Capistrano we knew we would walk everywhere we went. The nice thing about that is... more travel advice
Diedrich's coffee house has been taken over by corporate Starbucks, an insult to the quaint main section of San Juan... more travel advice
- Read the Local Paper--Capistrano Valley...
- Be very aware while crossing the streets
- A "Gem" next to the Jewel of the...
keida84's Related Pages
San Juan Capistrano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~ San Juan Capistrano ~"
- "Historic San Juan Capistrano"
- "San Juan Capistrano"
- "Make a Pilgrimage to California's Missions"
- "San Juan Capistrano"
- "San Juan Capistrano - CA - USA"
- "Beautiful San Juan Capistrano"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Juan Capistrano
- Hotels in San Juan Capistrano
- Transportation in San Juan Capistrano
- Nightlife in San Juan Capistrano
- Restaurants in San Juan Capistrano
- Shopping in San Juan Capistrano
- Warnings and Dangers in San Juan Capistrano
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in San Juan Capistrano
- 21 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to San Juan Capistrano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Juan Capistrano
- Posted in Travel Kauai Forum ""
- updated a San Juan Capistrano Travel Page "Historic San Juan Capistrano"
- Wrote a Review Take a Walking Tour of San Juan Capistrano about San Juan Capistrano Mission in San Juan Capistrano Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take a Walking Tour of San Juan Capistrano"
- Commented on one of Goner's San Juan Capistrano travel pages
Photos in San Juan CapistranoSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Oahu Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 89 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventura Intro, 30 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (74)
Latest San Juan Capistrano hotel reviews
- Mission Inn
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2008