"Historic San Juan Capistrano" Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano by keida84

San Juan Capistrano Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 474 photos

The Great Stone Church

Kristi and I took a day trip to San Juan Capistrano braving the LA freeway traffic and arrived on a beautiful sunny April day. Not a swallow in sight though. I believe SJC has been devoid of swallows for some time now. The mission had some new art and cultural exhibits which made the trip a bit more interesting. The gold altar fixture is currently undergoing a restorative cleaning. It should look beautiful when it is completed.

My sojourns took me to the historic town of San Juan Capistrano (SJC) again. The first trip in April of 2005, I met VT'er cnango The second trip in November of 2005 was with my "sister" Kris TazMocha It was my gift for Kris's birthday. Instead of giving "stuff" we are giving experiences as gifts--so much less to dust!

Kris and I took the Amtrak train, Kris had never ridden board an Amtrak train before and we both agreed this is a great way to get to SJC, no LA or Orange County traffic to cope with. We dis-embarked the train right in the heart of the town and walked to our hotel which was about a 5 minute walk at the most. The local merchants offer complimentary walking maps to help you navigate the town.

SJC has the historic Los Rios District which is a funky street across the train tracks which has historic houses that are over 100 years old. Shops, restaurants, a tea house, services and professional offices inhabit this tree lined, flower filled street.

The Mission SJC is the seventh mission built out of the 21 and is considered to be the "jewel" of the missions. Built in 1776 this spanish adobe is, in my opinion, the prettiest mission I have seen so far. The Great Stone Church was destroyed in an earthquake of 1812.

I have lived in California all my life and to discover a new "town" ranks high in my book. The surrounding areas of South Orange County (Laguna, Dana Point, Balboa Island) are lovely places to visit but this quaint gem of a town is a wonderful find!

San Juan Capistrano--A Cool Town

An Artist's Heaven-Los Rios District

• Pros:The town is a "walkable" town, so much to see and do
  • Cons:Cars honk a lot in SJC, Pedestrians need to be cautious
  • In a nutshell:A town made for walking and quiet reflection
  • Last visit to San Juan Capistrano: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 30, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM

The old churches and culture here is interesting and you presented that very well, including nice pictures

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Great Page. We did a bus trip from Anaheim to S.D Zoo, the driver pulled off and did a 10 min drive around here. My fiance & I would've loved to had a whole day here! I have learnt so much about our 5 pictures taken through the bus window from your page.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2006 at 1:48 PM

Articulate, attentive, balanced writing that is great to read because it's helpful, alluring, cohesive, colorful, and, best of all, interesting. Loved the restaurant tips. Now, I'm really sorry I did not visit San Juan Capistrano while in California.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for the well written, and imformative tips.

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2006 at 9:57 AM

Hi Kat. What a great page! I've been to SJC, but only briefly...missed so much!

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2005 at 9:22 PM

jelw Fri Dec 30, 2005 00:20 EST Wow we can leave comments on our own pages. Cool! Hey Fairey Kat Mother-you teach me something new every time we talk.

• Dec 22, 2005 at 8:58 AM

Very nice page Kat! SJC is one of my fav places in CAL!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2005 at 8:11 AM

Excellent page Kat! As you can imagine, I especially enjoyed the restaurant tips :-)

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 9:33 AM

lovely page dear, it seems like a lot of eating went on here, but dont worry, calories dont count on holidays

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 12:05 PM

Awesome updates lil Sis, especially the restaurants. I trust you got some sight-seeing in too right? L'Hirondelle does sound truly sublime & sweet potato french fries ---mmm. Big hugs from Big Sis.

keida84

“Travel far and wide, travel close and near...no excuses anymore,,,just do it and be happy.”

Badges & Stats in San Juan Capistrano

Have you been to San Juan Capistrano?