"The Finest Kind Anywhere" Top 5 Page for this destination Oxnard by keida84

Oxnard Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 84 photos

Oxnard, it's so much more

'Tis a silly name "Oxnard." However it comes from the family that developed the city's first industry, a sugarbeet refinery.

Sent to me by TugBoatGuy, here is a poem about Oxnard. Pome by John Murphy:

Ode To Oxnard
(A Pome)

Oh Oxnard, lovely Oxnard,
you jewel by the sea,
bles'd by sun and surf and sand,
you haunt my memory

Other's zephers may be playful,
warm and balmy, and all that,
but yours alone can chill the bone,
and knock the surfers flat

Your beaches are unusual,
broken bottles, cans and tires,
adorn your sands as the freezing
bands
huddle 'round their fires

Neither Newport, nor Laguna,
nor San Clemente's fame
can match your own true
splendor,or share your honored
name

Only you can claim the title,
you Baghdad by the bay,
that all others seek and envy,
Fog City, U.S.A.!
JM

Oxnard is also the gateway to the Channel Islands National Park.

In the downtown district, Heritage Square boasts 15 restored or replicated turn-of-the-century houses with the focal point being the Pettit House.

The Henry T. Oxnard District made the National Register Of Historic Places and was added to the State Register Of Historic Places in 1999. At Christmas time this turn-of-the-century neighborhood turns into Santa Claus Lane between F and G Streets.

But perhaps Oxnard is best known for hosting the Dallas Cowboys three-week training camp every year.

California is a BIG state

Oxnard/HB to San Francisco:
306 miles 492.45 km
9 hours clear traffic

Oxnard Fire Department

You may be wondering why I have the Oxnard Fire Department on my travel page. Well, Hollywood Beach shares city services with the City of Oxnard. Now that in itself is no reason to feature their fire department. But you see, I have a vested interest in this department.

Before I quit working due to the onset of Parkinson's Disease, I helped manage and supervise OFD's fitness and wellness program. I became quite close with many members of the administration, fire crews and ancillary staff. I went through the Community Emergency Response Team Program (CERT) which trains civilians to survive without police or fire services for three days following the major disaster or terrorist attack. My heart and soul are with this department.

The men and women OFD are the best at what they do. Recently the fire department was bestowed the honor of being one of the "most creative and innovative agencies in the United States", according to Harvard University's John F. Kennedy school of Government.

For example, any new residential unit with more than 500 ft.² must have fire sprinklers and latest smoke detection technology. At the department's urging some developers and businesses have installed strobe light fire detectors that can pinpoint the location of a blaze using a computer. The electronic device also unlocks certain doors so firefighters can enter a burning structure more quickly.

The Oxnard Fire Department is dedicating to saving lives without compromising the safety of the public or the fire crews. I can personally attest to this truth. I have seen them in action and they all are the best at what they do.

Good Information here so take notice! or else!

As previously mentioned OFD offers a FREE standardized program that many local fire departments around the US use called "CERT" Community Emergency Response Training. It is an intensive course in emergency prepardeness taught to civilians of all ages and capabilities. We had an 82 year old woman in our course.

Here is a bit of info on the type of fire extinguisher you should have in your home, boat or car: ABC rated

A: Paper and combustibles
B: Gas and oil
C: Electrical

This is a dry chemical extinguisher, not C02 as you cannot use C02 on paper or combustibles as it could re-ignite. Re-chargable units are the best and they come in all sizes for easier handling. LEARN how to use it properly, you will be amazed how fast the fire goes out when you know what you are doing.

• Pros:Voted #3 among 30 California cities to relocate a business
  • Cons:Traffic and over-crowding
  • Last visit to Oxnard: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2007

• Jan 28, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Don't go. Looks nice. Surrounded by gangs. Nobody returns calls/email. Went to office after leaving deposit. Told to hire armed guards & get insurance. We canceled. Manager said city is sending refund. City of Oxnard never heard of us 3 months later.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Hi Kat. How are you doing? Your Oxnard pages are a great reminder that the train station is also a neat part of Oxnard. Almost lived in Mandalay Bay when first built, but had small children and didn't trust having my own dock. Larry

• Jul 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I am a docent at Heritage Square and just wanted to clarify that our tours are given from 10:00 till 4:00 on Saturdays and from 1:00 till 4:00 on Sundays.

• Jun 9, 2007 at 11:40 AM

My family and I just visited oxnard and were going to stay at the casa sirena hotel , It is a scary hotel. Its rooms are run down and filthy. Very unsafe for a family.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2006 at 7:08 PM

I really like the personal touch you have added to this page. It's refreshing.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 5:45 PM

Thanks for the nice tips. We have a volunteer fire department in Cody als.

• marcoparco's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2005 at 9:00 PM

Great page! I am a volunteer firefighter in Canada and have been trying to stay in tip top shape. I have competed in 2 Combat Challenges so far. Have you ever heard of them? Looks like you have a great job! Cheers!

• VdV's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2005 at 5:57 PM

I grew up in Oxnard and still have family and friends there; nice to see an enthusiastic ambassador! Keep the info coming!

• jojocan's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2005 at 2:08 PM

oh la la!!! i think i'm in love...

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2005 at 10:49 PM

Oooh baby! Let me help you with that ...... um ... hose :)

keida84 Visits Here Frequently!

keida84

“Travels by armchair now and sometimes by train. Profile photo: VT trading card..”

Badges & Stats in Oxnard