"Aloha Nui Loa...Fondest Regards...Much Love" Top 5 Page for this destination Maui by keida84

Maui Travel Guide: 1,632 reviews and 4,435 photos

Mo'Olelo

October 2008: Signs of recession and tight purse strings were quite evident on this recent trip to the islands. When we landed at Maui International (OGG) there were no signs directing us to the luggage carousel to retrieve our belongings. Furthermore employees were scarce as well and often not well informed. We asked this gentleman where to retrieve our bags, he stopped looked at us and said "just pick one and sooner or later you'll find the right one."

The recession was also noted by a drop of 18% to 20% in tourism, stated a local guide. When we returned to OGG to fly home we discovered that the flight we were suppose to take was nowhere on the departure screens in the 1 or 2 kiosks that worked. Luckily we happened upon a woman who had a clipboard with what it seemed to be a flight manifesto. She directed us to the correct flight. She made no real effort to be seen and it was only when we looked a bit harried that she called out to us. We had to go back through the agricultural scan which was no big deal.

Now let me tell you Maui is and continues to be a lovely island to visit. We had a spacious condo in Kihei, used miles for the flight plus a $10 sur charge and had a wonderful low key no stress kind of week. I love Hawaii and will return many times as I can in the near future.

We had a great time in Maui and the time was all too short. Kris, Kristi, Sally and yours truly drove around, ate and had some great mai tais in various places around the island. The one thing I think really impressed me was Kristi Dabs About 10 days prior to our trip she sprained her ankle badly. Not to be daunted she bravely donned the huge moon boot her MD prescribed for her and boarded a plane with a 7 hour layover in Las Vegas so this made for a very long day of traveling. Though she was frustrated that she could not tour the island like she would have liked to, she still braved the tropical environment the best she could and even tried a bit of snorkeling later in the week.

Plenty of things to do on Maui

Please take a look at my Maui pages, they are still under construction but I am working on them. I think you will enjoy some of the tips. Great place for breakfast in Kehei. There is a tip for going up Haleakala (the name means "House of the Sun") and if you like bed and breakfasts, there is a great one in Lahaina, "The Plantation Inn". Make sure you get a flower lei when you arrive, keeping with local custom.

**NOTE**The picture shown here is NOT color enhanced, it was taken by me with my Canon Powershot following the remains of a hurricane that blew through. Please do not use this photo unless authorized by me.

There is so much to see and do on this island. The only thing that can be problematic is the amount of traffic during the "rush hours" 8 to 9am and 4 to 6pm. Oh yes and the constant road work that is going on all over the island at any given time. Barring that you should be able to find some great things to do. Visit the Iao Valley, Take a road trip up past Kapalua to see the Blowhole, take a trip on the "Road to Hana" Attend a free hula presentation by the local hula schools, check out the many snorkeling or sunset cruises offered, sit on your lanai and read a good book, try ziplining or para sailing for those not faint-of-heart. All in all there are many good ways to spend your time.

Ali'i

I was born on June 11, now to many of you that is just another day but in Hawaii it is a state holiday...King Kamehameha I birthday.

King Kamehameha Day is the only ali'i (royalty) holiday established during the monarchy and observed continually since its establishment by royal proclamation in 1871.

So that proves it, I am reincarnated royalty. Well, that is what I am trying to get everyone to realize. Yeah, right!

Well, birthday or not I have always had a special affinity for the Islands and learning about the native Hawaiians and their history holds a special place in my heart.

Another convincing fact that I am re-incarnated royalty is the year Hawaii was admitted to the Union...1959 That was the year I was born!! Coincidence? No...well maybe...okay I am stretching it here. I just would like to have some of that deeded land. I guess its just NOT going to happen.

• Pros:Its Hawaii
  • Cons:Developers are ruining the land
  • In a nutshell:Maui still has the "Aloha" spirit
  • Last visit to Maui: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Interesting and authoritative tips based on your many visits to Hawaii.

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Dear, sweet Kit Kat, you've done great job on this page! Looks like I have to go back :) Thank you for the B-Day comment, you definitely know what to wish :)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Did you guys go and have Dairy Queen without me???? I would have sulked for sure if I had known that ;-) Nice updates, I feel like I was there with you ha ha

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2007 at 5:11 AM

Mahalo! Our resident I'i (hawaiian royalty) has returned from the homeland! Welcome back. I miss you dear Fairy Kat mother.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 8:25 PM

LOVELY photos, Kat! Poor Kristi. that boot HAS to be the pits!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Oh Kitkat, what a lovely place with such special memories for you! Glad you and the girls had such a good time :) x

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Haha Great pic of Kristi ,, Booty ''we shall call her now Well if you keep going to Hawaii ,you maybe one day will have a residence there . Never say never eh dahlink Great to have you all back safely

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Great tips here! I'll be making it back to Hawaii for the third time this year and will be visiting Oahu, Maui and maybe Kaui (time permitting). I absolutely love the islands.

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2006 at 7:51 PM

Aloha Kat, I'm going here in a week, so your gr8 tips are very helpful : ) Interesting info on flowers colors, etc. The pancake place sounds awesome ! Mahalo, Nancy

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2005 at 1:16 AM

great page & tips my "better"? half was saying this wknd how much he wants to go to Hawaii

keida84

“Travels by armchair now and sometimes by train. Profile photo: VT trading card..”

Badges & Stats in Maui