"Location, Location, Location!!" Sydney by keida84

Sydney Travel Guide: 5,798 reviews and 13,510 photos

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!!

Before I begin the actual Sydney page, I want to say there is so much excellent information and tips from my fellow VT'ers that I don't want to write requiste things like "the Opera House is a must see" or "Climb the Harbor bridge" All of that is great but it has been done over and over. Instead I hope to take you out into the suburbs of Sydney and see what the local life is like.

So much town, so little time to see it all! We did not even come close to seeing all that this marvelous city has to offer.

We stayed in the suburbs of Sydney...Newtown (prior to going up North to Caloundra), as we wanted to go where the locals go. Newtown for 2 days then off to the State of Queensland and stayed 1 week in a town called, Caloundra and finished up with a stay in Cremorne Point for 5 days.

Newtown was colorful, full of life...very bohemian in its nature. This is an area that thrives around the University and the culture that goes with a college town. We spent the 2 days walking about the town with our hosts from the Ardmore House, Peter and Declan, they were well versed in the history and the architecture of the Newtown. They also brought us to one of the best Gelatto makers around.

Cremorne Point differed in the way the houses were built, slope upon slope. The environment was more laid back, calm and serene. More of a stately neighborhood.

And we took a tour with Oz Lines up to the Blue Mountains (excellent guide and tour company) There prices were low and the service was great!

Using the public transportation was great and very easy; we got to use the ferry boats, the railway and the buses.

Seeing the Sights.....

There is something profound that happens to me when I see, for instance, a famous landmark that I have only seen on the TV or in magazines, it is a kinda of overwhelming when I see these things in real life. So it goes with the Sydney Harbor Bridge and The Sydney Opera House, seeing these two icons of Australian life absolutely took my breath away.

As I flew back to the US, I felt a longing to see more of this country again. Sydney is a town who has its act together; excellent transportation system, excellent schools but they do need to work on desalination becasue they will run our of water in about 2 years. They are in the midst of a very bad drought!

I must mention the CBD (Central Business District), what a happening place and what is up with everyone wearing black?

You Meet The Nicest People On VT

My husband and I had the distinct pleasure of meeting one of VT's finest membersAussieDoug

Doug and I had exchanged but a few emails and comments with each other but upon recommendation I let him know we were coming to Sydney and we were able to meet.

I was out taking photos of the hotel when Doug drove up, we both knew in an instant who each other was. Laughing, Doug greeted me with a warm hug!

We went for lunch in Balmoral, a lovely beachfront community in Sydney's middle harbor. WHen we got out of the car, both Doug and my husband donned sports coats which struck me funny, as I have never seen any one besides my husband wear a sport coat on a casual occasion. Must be an "educator" thing, lol.

Not only did Doug play tour guide for a brief period but he insisted on driving us to the airport the next day for our trip back home. I look forward to returning to Sydney and meeting Doug's wife and family. A big thank you for everything! You are the best! (Oh btw, translate that into Italian.) lol

Without VT I would never have met Doug. VT is a global community and I have met some amazing people because of it.

• Pros:Friendly people, beautiful scenery, Great public transportation
  • Cons:Expensive in terms of groceries, service items, dry goods
  • In a nutshell:One of the most livable cities in the world
  • Last visit to Sydney: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2008 at 3:32 AM

So glad you got to see the Kangas in the wild. I'm Aussie, and I still love seeing them. Have them living nearby.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Hi Kat, Good tips on Sydney, especially Cremorne, I know the area well, lived close by for my first 27 years, and school 2 bays closer to bridge. Mike

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Kat, great tips as always .... except there wasn't enough info on that tip about the Aussie firefighter ;o) We're thinking of doing Sydney in 2008.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 8:11 AM

Did you actually try and play the didgeridoo? It's alot harder than one may think. I batled. Just made lots of spit... yuch :) lol Poor next person! hehe

• Jan 1, 2006 at 2:14 PM

Hi Kat, You changed my mind about not putting Australia on my wish list. Thank you so much for sharing and for reading my HK page. Best regards.

• ta2to2a's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2005 at 11:54 AM

nice page

• kooka3's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2005 at 10:49 AM

Newtown is a great place - I spent a lot of time up on King street and wandering the side streets when I was at the University. Great picture - brings back great memories!

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2005 at 8:47 AM

ooh, a dirty martini sounds heavenly....

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2005 at 8:19 AM

"If the earth had a voice ...." what a perfect description of the sound of the didgeridoo. It gets you right there, doesn't it? Great page. Come back to Oz soon. Leyle

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2005 at 3:53 PM

Your jet lag tip is excellent. Thanks. I certainly enjoyed your information concerning Sydney. Your tips are informative and helpful. Your photos are certainly vivid and vibrant and eye candy indeed. Thanks for this fantastic virtual tour.

keida84

“Travels by armchair now and sometimes by train. Profile photo: VT trading card..”

Badges & Stats in Sydney