"Location, Location, Location!!" Sydney by keida84
Sydney Travel Guide: 5,798 reviews and 13,510 photos
Before I begin the actual Sydney page, I want to say there is so much excellent information and tips from my fellow VT'ers that I don't want to write requiste things like "the Opera House is a must see" or "Climb the Harbor bridge" All of that is great but it has been done over and over. Instead I hope to take you out into the suburbs of Sydney and see what the local life is like.
So much town, so little time to see it all! We did not even come close to seeing all that this marvelous city has to offer.
We stayed in the suburbs of Sydney...Newtown (prior to going up North to Caloundra), as we wanted to go where the locals go. Newtown for 2 days then off to the State of Queensland and stayed 1 week in a town called, Caloundra and finished up with a stay in Cremorne Point for 5 days.
Newtown was colorful, full of life...very bohemian in its nature. This is an area that thrives around the University and the culture that goes with a college town. We spent the 2 days walking about the town with our hosts from the Ardmore House, Peter and Declan, they were well versed in the history and the architecture of the Newtown. They also brought us to one of the best Gelatto makers around.
Cremorne Point differed in the way the houses were built, slope upon slope. The environment was more laid back, calm and serene. More of a stately neighborhood.
And we took a tour with Oz Lines up to the Blue Mountains (excellent guide and tour company) There prices were low and the service was great!
Using the public transportation was great and very easy; we got to use the ferry boats, the railway and the buses.
There is something profound that happens to me when I see, for instance, a famous landmark that I have only seen on the TV or in magazines, it is a kinda of overwhelming when I see these things in real life. So it goes with the Sydney Harbor Bridge and The Sydney Opera House, seeing these two icons of Australian life absolutely took my breath away.
As I flew back to the US, I felt a longing to see more of this country again. Sydney is a town who has its act together; excellent transportation system, excellent schools but they do need to work on desalination becasue they will run our of water in about 2 years. They are in the midst of a very bad drought!
I must mention the CBD (Central Business District), what a happening place and what is up with everyone wearing black?
My husband and I had the distinct pleasure of meeting one of VT's finest membersAussieDoug
Doug and I had exchanged but a few emails and comments with each other but upon recommendation I let him know we were coming to Sydney and we were able to meet.
I was out taking photos of the hotel when Doug drove up, we both knew in an instant who each other was. Laughing, Doug greeted me with a warm hug!
We went for lunch in Balmoral, a lovely beachfront community in Sydney's middle harbor. WHen we got out of the car, both Doug and my husband donned sports coats which struck me funny, as I have never seen any one besides my husband wear a sport coat on a casual occasion. Must be an "educator" thing, lol.
Not only did Doug play tour guide for a brief period but he insisted on driving us to the airport the next day for our trip back home. I look forward to returning to Sydney and meeting Doug's wife and family. A big thank you for everything! You are the best! (Oh btw, translate that into Italian.) lol
Without VT I would never have met Doug. VT is a global community and I have met some amazing people because of it.
- Pros:Friendly people, beautiful scenery, Great public transportation
- Cons:Expensive in terms of groceries, service items, dry goods
- In a nutshell:One of the most livable cities in the world
This sign cracked me up when I saw it "Tourist Refund Scheme". In the US we utilize this word to describe a secret plot... more travel advice
This was a fantastic walk about. We got to see the local color and where the locals go. No tourist venues here. This is... more travel advice
- Buyer Beware!
- See All Excellent Service--Excellent Price
- See All Possibly the world's oldest musical...
Written Jun 18, 2005
Scenes around Sydney
Written Jun 10, 2005
I Went to the Land Down Under
keida84's Related Pages
Sydney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What do you do with your weekend?"
- "Love Those Sydneysiders"
- "Sydney - For the discerning tourist"
- "Flying down Sydney Way..."
- "The best start to any adventure Down Under"
- "City of Water and Trees"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sydney
- Hotels in Sydney
- Transportation in Sydney
- Nightlife in Sydney
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Shopping in Sydney
- Warnings and Dangers in Sydney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sydney
- 21 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Sydney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sydney
Photos in SydneySee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Oahu Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 89 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventura Intro, 30 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue