"United Kingdom" United Kingdom by Twan
United Kingdom Travel Guide: 104,258 reviews and 266,896 photos
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a country and state in Western Europe located between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean, with approximately 60.6 million inhabitants. In modern history as a great power has played an important role.
The United Kingdom contains a total of four areas:
1. England in the south (50,714,000 inhabitants);
2. Scotland in the north (5,108,000 inhabitants);
3. Wales in the west (2,977,000 inhabitants);
4. Northern Ireland in the north-west (1,733,000 inhabitants).
The first three, England, Scotland and Wales, together form the island of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the northeastern part of the island of Ireland.
The four areas are still clearly recognizable cultural, but also partly political identity, which is audible in the different languages and dialects are spoken, visible under more flags, banknotes and signposts, and the people also felt in recently to realized form of limited self-government in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. All this, however, alter the fact that in international relations only the sovereign United Kingdom plays a role. In the strict sense of 'independent state' are the 'lands within the kingdom "no countries, but in a somewhat broader meaning of" restricted area with a political identity "though. Using this double meaning, the United Kingdom are referred to as "four countries in one country
In the last thirty years in the United Kingdom major changes in local government have been. The administrative division is also for each of the countries within the kingdom again differently.
England has nine administrative regions, subdivided into 82 "non-urban and urban counties" (counties).
Northern Ireland is divided into 26 districts.
Scotland is divided into 32 council areas (council areas), three of which consist of islands (Outer Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland).
Wales is divided into 22 administrative regions, the principal areas.
In England a distinction is made between Greater London (Greater London), the other metropolitan counties (Greater Manchester, Merseyside with Liverpool, South Yorkshire with Sheffield, Tyne & Wear with Newcastle, West Midlands with Birmingham and West Yorkshire and Leeds) and the other counties (non-metropolitan areas).
The United Kingdom has historically a division into counties (English plural: counties, singular: county). The counties within their historical borders are known as the historical or traditional counties.
Counties of England
Counties of Scotland
Counties of Wales
Counties of Northern Ireland
These counties were generally divided into districts, which were again divided into municipalities (see cities).
In England and Wales there are administrative counties, but they usually have different limits than the historic counties.
Twan's Related Pages
United Kingdom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Firas in Wonderland"
- "My U.K. - a home I love very dearly."
- "East, West, Home is Best."
- "UNITED KINGDOM"
- "My Home"
- "United Kingdom Adventure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United Kingdom
- Hotels in United Kingdom
- Transportation in United Kingdom
- Nightlife in United Kingdom
- Restaurants in United Kingdom
- Shopping in United Kingdom
- Warnings and Dangers in United Kingdom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United Kingdom
- 21 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to United Kingdom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United Kingdom
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Aruba Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Valencia Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jasper Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos
- Verona Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos