"Domburg" Domburg by Twan
Domburg Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 96 photos
Domburg is a town in the municipality of Veere, in the Dutch province of Zeeland. It is located on the west coast of the former island of Walcheren and is the second oldest seaside resort in the country. Domburg counts 1490 inhabitants on 1 January 2010.
Early townspeople came from Middelburg summer driving game visit the coast and enjoy the local inns. They built there in the 17th and 18th centuries summer stays and sometimes real pleasure gardens. The history of Domburg as a seaside resort really begins in 1834 when two families decide to Middelburg with sea bath bathing carriages one to take. They were first seaside visitors and apparently inspired by a visit to Scheveningen, where from 1818 sea baths were offered from the bathhouse of Jan Pronk.
The close contact of the initiators of the first seaside resort with Mr. JJ Slicher, who was lord of Domburg, and with Hague circles, have led, after a fundraising among the Walcheren elite and with a contribution of King William I in 1837, the first Badpaviljoen could build. The resort was followed by trial and error, as with the opening of the Badhotel in 1866, grow slowly. The circle of bathers remained limited to small Zeeland urban and aristocratic elite, because for most people was such a trip is not affordable and Walcheren also difficult to reach. With the improvement of connections after 1870 by the construction of the railway Roosendaal-Vlissingen and the subsequent service of the Zeeland Steamship Company in England came to change this and arrived in Domburg increasingly swimmers from other parts of the Netherlands, Belgium, United Kingdom and Germany.
Twan's Related Pages
Domburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Popular for beach and family holidays"
- "Domburg a quiet little town at the North Sea"
- "Domburg is great for a beach holiday"
- "Domburg, most beautiful beach of the Netherlands"
- "Dinner in Domburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Domburg
- Hotels in Domburg
- Transportation in Domburg
- Restaurants in Domburg
- Shopping in Domburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Domburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Domburg
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Domburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Domburg
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Aruba Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Valencia Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jasper Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos
- Verona Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos