"Middelburg" Middelburg by Twan
Middelburg Travel Guide: 164 reviews and 407 photos
Middelburg is the capital and dominant component within the same municipality, which lies on the former island of Walcheren. Middelburg is counted according to CBS figures on 1 January 2008: 40.600 inhabitants. Middelburg is the starting point of the N57 and is situated on the A58 and the railway Vlissingen-Roosendaal. The city is bisected by the Canal through Walcheren.
The Abbey of Middelburg has an almost 91 meter high tower, adjacent to the New Church and the Church Choir, which is called the Long John and for many the symbol of Middelburg. In the New Church is the marble tomb of the Zeeland heroes and Cornelis Evertsen. In the vicinity of the 15th century Abbey, the Tower Mint. The Abbey Complex now houses include the Province House and the Sea Museum.
The oldest parts of it, now as a university building in use late-Gothic City Hall on Market dating back to 1458. Eight members of the South Dutch architect worked Keldermans family participated. In the façade there are statues of the counts and countesses who have reigned over Zeeland. In addition to City Hall and the Abbey are some other famous monument houses the St. George Goals, Van de Perre House (which now represented the Zeeland Archives) and House ’s-Hertogenbosch.
Ever had - from the Dutch cities - Middelburg, after Amsterdam, the most historic buildings, then it was a long time, after Amsterdam and Maastricht, the third city of monuments. Despite the consequences of the war (destruction of hundreds of monuments) and the demolition of many old buildings in the fifties and sixties, with over 1100 Middelburg is the seventh national monuments monument city of the Netherlands. The cities with the most national monuments are Amsterdam, Maastricht, Utrecht, Leiden, The Hague and Haarlem. At the beginning of the seventies was the restoration of monuments a boost. In the year 1975 international monument was named Middelburg as one of the sample cities.
I come here for years now always when I go to Middelburg, I go here. Great food, friendly personel and nice beers. The... more travel advice
Twan's Related Pages
Middelburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "28th ( 29th) AUGUST 2004 MIDDELBURG MEETING !!"
- "Middelburg in various seasons"
- "Middelburg, a quiet city"
- "Middelburg: Go there before you die!"
- "The wonderful town of Middelburg."
- "Middelburg by bicycle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Middelburg
- Hotels in Middelburg
- Transportation in Middelburg
- Nightlife in Middelburg
- Restaurants in Middelburg
- Shopping in Middelburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Middelburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Middelburg
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Middelburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Middelburg
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Aruba Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 57 photos
- Valencia Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos
- Vientiane Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos
- Jasper Intro, 11 reviews, 50 photos
- Verona Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos