"Veghel" Veghel by Twan

Veghel Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 77 photos

Veghel

Veghel is also called the Pearl of the bailiwick called. Veghel situated on the national landscape Green Forest. Worth seeing are the Neo-Gothic Saint-Lambert, the former town hall from 1876 in Neo-Renaissance style, the Market, former neo-Gothic synagogue, the Franciscan monastery with gardens and monastery chapel from 1843, the monument to the 101st Airborne Division, house Klondike a role played in the liberation in 1944, the Aa-bridge and former tram station on the Sluisstraat 1909. Veghel also has a recreational port.

History

Veghel probably originated in the early Middle Ages. The place name is, what the last part is concerned, probably back on lo 'forest', here perhaps 'pool'. The first part is possible to connect the southern Dutch vigge 'young pig'. The first reclamation took place in the early Middle Ages on fertile woodland along the Aa. Large reclamations from that period include The Wielse Hoof at Reads, Baecxhoeve, The Hofstad and Zijtaartse Hoof at Zijtaart. A somewhat remote mining was well Zondveldse Hoof at the height of the Zondveld. Smaller farmers cultivated lands as The Donk and Sven Berg south of Reading. In the current village Veghel is the area Hezelaar an old mining. Yet was the oldest core of Veghel unlikely in the current village. From Asseldonk (2010) and Huijbers (2010) indicate both the high probability that the oldest church Veghel near the Scheifelaar stood. Here is the area known as Stepanakert (a collective of 'field') which is generally a large farm complex near a settlement suggested. Also in 1520 was close to the mentioned 'Alden Cemetery "and was located at the site of the present mestbridge a crosswalk in the Aa. When the Dung Bridge in June 2010 a large number of stone foundations excavated indicating the former presence of a fortified house, a windmill or a church. Spot was also the Laarakker, a large parcel of the oldest possessions of the church Veghel can be counted. From Asseldonk points to the now archaeological research revealed conventionality in the period 1000-1200 settlements move. Also Huijbers does suggest that the church and the settlement Veghel in the tenth century to the present location moved. In the twelfth century, the current settlement Veghel now part of the county Rooi (Sint-Oedenrode). In that period the 'Roois right' in Veghel used. The guys from Rooi possessed in Veghel own fiefs, including the later Baecxhoeve.

Municipality Veghel

Veghel is a municipality in the province of North Brabant, situated in the Bailiwick of ’s-Hertogenbosch. Consists of the folling places Veghel, Erp, Mariaheide, Zijtaart, Eerde, Keldonk en Boerdonk. In 1994 the municipality Veghel merged with the municipality of Erp while retaining the name Veghel. The main town of the municipality Veghel. Veghel officially since 1310 a municipality, when the inhabitants of Duke John II of Brabant were given the right to use the church grounds. Erp, however, arose as a church a decade earlier. Its inhabitants obtained the right to the use of municipal land in 1300 from Duke John I of Brabant.

  • Intro Updated Aug 28, 2012
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse

Comments

Twan

“Enjoy”

Online Now

Male

Top 5,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 1 9 1 1
Forum Rank:
0 3 6 7 2

Badges & Stats in Veghel

  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 0 Comments
  • 22PageViews

Have you been to Veghel?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in Veghel

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)