"Zijtaart" Zijtaart by Twan
Zijtaart Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 23 photos
Zijtaart (dialect: Seitert) is a village in the province of North-Brabant, situated in the Bailiwick of ’s-Hertogenbosch. Zijtaart is a parish of the municipality Veghel and has about 1,500 inhabitants. The name Zijtaart is nowadays usually explained as the side-lying, what name can be explained from the position of Zijtaart compared to the old parish Veghel.
With the construction of the South Willemsvaart in 1823-1826 were the hamlets around Zijtaart from downtown Veghel cut. Thereupon a foot spring set that residents have to put it under Veghel hamlet located Reads, which the old road Zijtaart-Veghel via Valstraat remained passable for pedestrians.
Zijtaart exists as parish officially since 1872 when it was spun off as a parish of St. Lambert Parish in Veghel. The church of the new parish still bears the old tower cross Veghel original parish church, which was demolished in the 19th century. From the mother house in Veghel founded the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Mother of God in 1901 the monastery House Cecilia Zijtaart, which closed its doors in 2005.
Until 1872 was the area around Zijtaart four scattered hamlets: Biezen, Doornhoek, Zijtaart and Zondveld including Jekschot. The parish church was built between the four hamlets and closest to the hamlet Zijtaart that gave its name to the parish. Some hamlets of this parish were far post and were in the 14th century as mining camp or farmhouse (Cretaceous and Lochte Burg Burg). When the church was founded in 1872, expanded the village Zijtaart is stronger than the other hamlets. This resulted in the 19th and 20th centuries the current dorpskern.Het original Zijtaart lies east of the bowl. There were already in the 12th century farmsteads Great and Small-Seitenkipper Standaert. These two farms were feudatory to the feudal estate of Geffen. They are the namesakes been to the present village.
The Saint Lambert of Zijtaart and the adjacent rectory were built in 1871-1872. The first priest was Father Clercx, to whom later a street was named. On 23 April 1872 the first Mass in the church dedicated. The cross that adorns the striker, came from the old Veghel Saint Lambert who in 1874 was demolished. In 1908 a new vestry built. The St. Cecilia Convent Zijtaart was built in 1901-1902. In 1906 the complex was expanded with a chapel. A brick (laid by Pastor Camp) reminds us still.
Large parts of the characteristic landscape of Zijtaart after the Second World War changed beyond recognition by land consolidation, village expansion or extension of Veghel. By construction of the industrial Doornhoek disappeared more of the characteristic scale landscape and is now almost Zijtaart against Veghel on.
Old farmer road leading you around the north part of Zijtaart. A nice walking in the country side. more travel advice
Twan's Related Pages
Zijtaart Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Zijtaart
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Zijtaart?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zijtaart
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Aruba Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 58 photos
- Valencia Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jasper Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos
- Verona Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos