"Oranjestad" Oranjestad by Twan
Oranjestad Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 178 photos
For 1790 the southern Savaneta the Aruban capital Oranjestad but was more accessible for ships. The city is built around fort, which in 1796 was built by the Dutch in defense of the island Aruba and has a port where today many cruise ships.
Many residents of Aruba settled around 1800 around fort, a 17th century fortress. They built the houses higgledy-piggledy. Some were even in the flame path of one of the guns built. Gradually the village grew into a small village. Over 25 years after the completion of the fort lived almost half of the total island population nearby fort. This important place was given a name and in 1824 the governor decided to name it after the House of Orange. Orange City was a fact. Around 1860 there were over 1000 people.
As the largest city of Oranjestad Aruba, it has an important status for its inhabitants. In Oranjestad, the major... more travel advice
Twan's Related Pages
Oranjestad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Oranjestad Page"
- "Where Europe Meets The Caribbean"
- "The renaissance of a Caribbean city."
- "ARUBA 2007"
- "Aruba Streets"
- "Jumping in Orangestad!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oranjestad
- Hotels in Oranjestad
- Transportation in Oranjestad
- Restaurants in Oranjestad
- Shopping in Oranjestad
- Warnings and Dangers in Oranjestad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oranjestad
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Oranjestad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oranjestad
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Aruba Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 57 photos
- Valencia Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos
- Vientiane Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos
- Jasper Intro, 11 reviews, 50 photos
- Verona Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos