"Ile Maurice" Mauritius by Maximilian21

Mauritius Travel Guide: 1,392 reviews and 3,649 photos

Mauritius has a special place in my heart, mainly because both my parents are from the country. Its Impossible for me to call myself Mauritiuan because i was born and raised in Australia however i have always been intersted in my roots in order to find out more about myself.

I have always been curious about why my family left such a beautiful country . I guess they moved because of the uncertainity after the country gained independence but they also believed that there would be greater opportunity overseas than in a country with a population a little over a million people.

Inspite of its small population ,Mauritius remains one of the success stories of Africa. A country which has thrived inspite of having many of its skilled workers leave to seek opportunities around the world.

The island itself is absolutely amazing, with is wonderful beaches, and laid back lifestyle. It provides a place for people from around the world to come to, and enjoy what life was truly meant to be like.

When you come, have the courage not to sit on the beach all day, meet people from the mellange of races who exist on the island. It will hopefully change your mindset on island living

• Pros:Beautiful country
  • Cons:Little expensive
  • In a nutshell:must see island
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2005

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Great page, thanks for sharing. Hope to visit here later in the year.

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Thanks for sharing about your parents former home and culture. This island appears very beautiful to me.

• crazytracylady's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 8:08 AM

Me too! i have a photo of me sitting on one - I lived there from being 9 to 13 years old

• Tinci's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 7:01 AM

Looks like u had the best time ever on Mauritius... a great place for a vacation... have to get my ass there oneday... ;)))

• ludogatto's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2005 at 5:28 AM

I remember dancing Sega with my creol friends to a birth party ina simply house...so nice and gentle peole!

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2005 at 10:03 PM

Some very wonderful and personal pages here of a place that I would now consider visiting thank s to your pages.

• Nov 19, 2005 at 8:54 AM

A very nice description with beautiful pictures make me feel like hopping on a plane to Mauritius.

• weewatty's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2005 at 2:26 PM

Great pages, was in Mauritius about 6 years ago and stayed near Blue Bay. Great Great Island.

• maple_air's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 5:27 AM

what a beautiful place indeed!...the Dodo, always bring a smile on my face, funny lookin bird, too bad its not around anymore. Nice work here! ;D

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2005 at 8:44 PM

Lovely pictures Shaun. How funny about wanting to put your sister on one of those lillypads! My favourite thing in Mauritius was the smoked Marlin - superb!

Maximilian21

“""Fool me once... shame on you. Fool me... I won't get fooled again."George W Bush.”

Badges & Stats in Mauritius

Have you been to Mauritius?

Latest Activity in Mauritius