New Caledonia Things to Do Tips by Maximilian21 Top 5 Page for this destination
New Caledonia Things to Do: 35 reviews and 55 photos
Another popular daytrip in Noumea is to the Noumea aquarium. It is quite world famous for its array of tropical fish .
Its not very big but i found it pleasant none the less.
Completed in May 1998, the Tjibaou Cultural Centre is a spectacular edifice rising on the Tina peninsula in Noumea. It is named in recognition of the Kanak leader, Jean-Marie Tjibaou and his contribution to the nation's cultural developments.
The centre exibits Kanak and pacific art and is a wonderful place to learn more about the island and its history.
There are some great water sports including snorkelling to be had in the Ile of Pines.
While i was there i saw a vast aray of marine wildlife including a several nicely sized baracudas
Lovely Kuto bay
The beach is really beautiful with very fine sand and warm water. It is very close to the main ferry dock.
I would have spent a few hours simply lying in the sun and chatting with my travel companions.
call that a mountain
Look its not that high
I particularly love melanesian culture. The people seem to ooze peace and genuine good will.
The cultural festivites are ok, but why watch them do a "show" when you too can join in. Im sure they would much appreciiate this.
It wouldnt be a spectacle of their lives and culture but more of an expression of themseleves. So put the camera down and have a little dance yourself.
Noumea has a few really nice look oouts where you can get some very nice panoramic vues of the island
Noumea has a really laid back vibe to it. There definantely the cafe culture thing happening here but it also lacks in pretentiousness and people just like to chill and have a good time.
The port is very picturesque and there is an ubundance of restaurants and bars.
All in all its a nice mix between the colonial and the traditional island lifestyle.
The highlight of the trip for me is always the people. New calledonia was no exception.
Being an islander myself, ive always been drawn to melanesian people and thier lifestyle. The seem to have "la joie de vivre" without our own luxuries and "necessities".
Its not to difficult,. It should only take you about an hour to do and its the highest point on the Ilse of Pines. From the top you can see the whole island and its impressive sourounding reef.
The view at the top is very rewarding after the hike and im sure will stay in your mind for a long time
More Reviews (10)
Maximilian21's Related Pages
New Caledonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Caledonia: Mediterranean Melanesia"
- "La Nouvelle Caledonie"
- "a charming island & millions of butterflies"
- "New Caledonia"
- "South Seas Gem with a European Flavor"
- "coming in Dec 2011"
- "Nouvelle Caledonie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Caledonia
- Hotels in New Caledonia
- Transportation in New Caledonia
- Nightlife in New Caledonia
- Restaurants in New Caledonia
- Shopping in New Caledonia
- Warnings and Dangers in New Caledonia
- See All...
Explore the World
- San Narciso
- Isle of Palms
- Tararua Forest Park Hotels
- Kaymakli Hotels
- Krattigen Hotels
- Gørløse Hotels
Badges & Stats in New Caledonia
- 39 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to New Caledonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Caledonia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 69 reviews, 66 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 45 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 47 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 39 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 35 reviews, 28 photos
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 33 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 21 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Klagenfurt Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos