"Evolving Into A Traveller" bekahl's Profile

It's All About Me!

Firstly, I'll start with introducing myself. I'm 26 years old and live in Wigan. It's a town in Greater Manchester in England. I was born here and have always lived here. I don't think I will ever live anywhere else purely because all my family are here and I love them way too much to leave. However, I do have to leave the country on a regular basis to get 'my fix' or else I will go insane or self-combust or something equally horrible! lol.
I work as a mental health nurse and for the past 2 years I have worked on a teenager's inpatient unit. I absolutely love my job and the wages really help too! Ha ha.....

My Holidays As A Child

As a child I was very lucky in that my parents took me overseas on holiday every year from roughly aged 8. We went to all the usual family hotspots like Majorca and Greece. I loved these holidays as a child and really enjoyed the trips we went on to the 'old towns' or 'ancient sites'. I've always loved learning and relish any opportunity to experience something new. One year we went to Tunisia and that sparked something inside of me. The totally different culture, way of life, food, people, everything amazed and interested me. I couldn't get enough but it was over too soon.

Teenage Travels

When I was 19 I went on my first holiday with my friends. We went on a girls holiday to Ibiza with Club 18 - 30! I probably don't need to say anymore about the type of holiday that this was!!!! Simply put, it centred around alcohol, with a bit more alcohol, and a side of alcohol, with some extra alcohol to top it off! I spent about £1000 in two weeks drinking and clubbing! Oh my poor body. I had a great time though..... I think..... I can't seem to remember that much of it. Anyway, just to make sure that I'd definately had enough alcohol to last me a lifetime I returned the year after and did it all again! lol

Last Minute Plans

In October 2003 my parents split up and at the age of 20 I was totally devstated. I hadn't even known that my Mum was unhappy. It hit me with a bang. This lead to me making a rather rash and unplanned decision to head off to Australia with my backpack and a year visa with very little money and no return ticket! Despite this I had a great 3 months, went to the limit of my overdraft, racked up a huge credit card bill, but didn't care. I flew to Sydney and had pre booked a hostel in the city centre for the first two nights. So for the next couple of days my main task was to find somewhere to stay after that. However, I go slightly distracted by Bondi Beach and spent the first day sunbathing (and getting sunburned). Anyways, I decided to stay in Bondi and I found a room to rent in a house with 7 other travellers (3 Irish, 3 Canadian and 1 Iranian). Whilst in Sydney I didn't really do much other than chill out on the beach and go out partying. I did visit the set of Home and Away though! After 3 months I had run out of money and had no job so I rang my Dad and he paid for a flight home for me!

Time To Grow Up

In early 2004 I started a 3 year university course studying mental health nursing. In summer that year I went to Cyprus for a week on my own for a relax and literally spent the week having long lie ins and lazing by the pool.

• Intro Updated May 3, 2010

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• bekahl's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I need to carry on writing this and get it up to date :)

• loose_motion's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Very interesting introduction . Now I gotta read up your travel pages :)

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2012 at 6:07 AM

I usually look out for and say Hi to new members from my neck of the woods - so a belated Welcome to VT. I do hope your holiday and specially the hotel part of it works out for you in the end. Best of luck!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2011 at 2:02 AM

I read your forum query - take a trip to South Africa!!!! Kid friendly!!!

• Emichelle's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Hi Greetings from Sri Lanka. I see your planning a trip to SL in June 2011. Welcome to Sri Lanka !

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Wow, What a colourful start to your travels!! Love the 2xIbiza & Oz thing ;-)

• Swades's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2010 at 7:01 AM

hi how i slife going on.. smile.. vivek

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2007 at 2:45 AM

Happy birthday to you from Istanbul/Turkiye...I wish that you realize all your dreams good luck !!!))))

• kanasar's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 7:28 AM

hi all the best for your homepage

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
bekahl's Profile Photo

bekahl

“Looking forward to introducing my little boy Aden to the big wide world!”

Ranked Member