"6 weeks in Oz!" Australia by mad4travel
Australia Travel Guide: 45,805 reviews and 117,337 photos
Compare with the USA and New Zealand, Australia does not have that much awe inspiring scenery. It does however have a wonder of the world that doesn't dissapoint -The Great Barrier Reef.
A lot of reefs that I have been to have been killed off by tourism- lets hope this never happens here.
We visited the reef from the Whitsundays, these are a great place to go with beautiful beaches such as Whitehaven beach (see photo)
Don't believe when they say the sun always shines in Australia. It does'nt!
We arrived in Sydney to spend 7 glorious days exploring the city in the gorgeous sunshine and it rained for 6 days! The locals were pleased tho as they have had to endure a 2 year drought.
Still, good thing is there are loads of things to do when its wet:
Sydney Aquarium on Darling Harbour is good for a visit as are the shops and bars on Darling harbour itself.
On the one descent day we had we took a harbour cruise stopping off at Manly which was very nice.
We also went up the AMP tower for great views of the city and took the train out to the blue mountains. They were not quite so fab in the bad weather but interesting none the less.
The opera house and art museum on Circular Quay provided some more rain refuge and a climb up the harbour bridge on a grey but slightly less rainy day was rewarding if a bit expensive (ya just gotta do it tho)
It is a nice place and it might have been the weather but I was a bit dissapointed with it compared to other Pacific rim cities such as San Francisco and Vancouver.
We were suprised and delighted by Perth. Being a long way from anywhere it is very unpolluted and the quality of light is fabulous.
Everything is very clean and even the old victorian buildings look as if they were built yesterday as they are so clean.
Perth is a very managable city. altho the suburbs are sprawling the city centre is very compact, easy to get around and uncrowded. You can also go to Fremantle which is very picturesque and the lovely beaches in Scarborough.
There are a few good day trips from the city including one to the Namburg National Park to the pinnacles desert.
Only bad things about Perth - it gets very hot - over 40 degrees when we were there and from Nov-Feb they get lots of flies. Its often windy which can be annoying but the good thing is it blows the flies away!
This was my favourite city in Australia.
link to more Perth pages
- Pros:Great cities, fab beaches, lovely weather
- Cons:its soooooo big!!!
- In a nutshell:A bonza place mate, no worries!
Wave Rock is located 340 kilometres and four hours' drive south-east of Perth It is a natural land formation shaped... more travel advice
Glengle is Adelaide's seaside town. It has the faded glory of an English victorian seaside resort. An old tram runs... more travel advice
mad4travel's Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 41 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 42 reviews, 64 photos
- Turkey Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 32 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Egypt Intro, 28 reviews, 37 photos
- Namibia Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos
- Tibet Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
- Jordan Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
No friends yet.
Top Australia hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 836 Reviews - 1796 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5768 Reviews - 13444 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3372 Reviews - 7591 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2291 Reviews - 4821 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 979 Reviews - 2129 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2193 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1645 Reviews - 3655 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 886 Reviews - 2275 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 417 Photos
- Coffs Harbour Hotels
- 250 Reviews - 567 Photos
- Airlie Beach Hotels
- 186 Reviews - 727 Photos