"It's Tico time!" Costa Rica by mad4travel
Costa Rica Travel Guide: 5,963 reviews and 13,931 photos
Costa Rica has been likened to the Switzerland of Central America. Compared to its troublesome neighbours it has benefitted greatly from having a stable democracy, no army and money used for heath and Education.
Because of that however, it is a bit of a sanitised version of what you get to know and love in say, Guatamala or Nicuaragua.
But, it is a fantastic place. having the foresight to preserve its best asset the countryside and therefore the wildlife.
The countryside is varied and very pretty, flowers grow along the roadside which makes it colourful and the scenery is very varied, from the low lying Caribbean coast with its canals and black sandy beaches t o the misty hills and coffee plantations, to the highlands and volcanoes and the gorgeous white pacific beaches its all fantastic.
Of course, with the scenery comes the wildlife. After a stint in the Peruvian Amazon I was apprehensive that I would barely see any animals, but how wrong I was.
Tortuguero on the Caribbean coast was a fantastic trek by boat where you could creep up on the wildlife and get really close.
Monteverde Rainforest was magical and again full of animals
and the most beautiful - Manuel Antonio, on the coast with azure coloured sea and white sandy beaches and very cheeky monkeys!
See my tips for more critter pics and stories....
They pack a lot in for such a small country. Theres a lot to do.
San Jose the capital is not that great, it does not have any real stunning architecture as some other central american cities but it does have a good museum thats worth a look.
Tortuguero national park has lots of jungle treks, boat trips and Turtle watching.
Monteverde has forest walks, canopy bridge walks above the trees, zip lines over the forest and a host of animal related places like a butterfly sanctuary and frog centre.
Arenal has walks around a grumbling (and often erupting volcano)
Manuel Antonio National Park has forest walks, white sandy beaches, good restaurants and is a great place to chill out.
- Pros:Great Scenery and Wildlife
- Cons:Quite Americanised
- In a nutshell:More than just tree frogs and sloths!
Just past Tarcoles is Carrera National Park. It is unique in that it is a transitional forest bringing together both... more travel advice
I wish I could bring you a photo of Poas that is as stunning as the one I took on Irazu but alas no. If Irazu is what a... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Costa Rica Wildlife
Written May 9, 2016
More Costa Rica Wildlife
mad4travel's Related Pages
Costa Rica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pura Vida!"
- "Costa Rica"
- "Costa Rica, a land of simple life and beauty"
- "Paradise? Pura Vida? Oh Yeah"
- "From a birders point of view"
- "Muy Bueno"
- "9 Days in Costa Rica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Costa Rica
- Hotels in Costa Rica
- Transportation in Costa Rica
- Nightlife in Costa Rica
- Restaurants in Costa Rica
- Shopping in Costa Rica
- Warnings and Dangers in Costa Rica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Costa Rica
- 14 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Costa Rica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Costa Rica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 42 reviews, 64 photos
- Turkey Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 32 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Egypt Intro, 28 reviews, 37 photos
- Namibia Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos
- Tibet Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
- Jordan Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
No friends yet.