"Konichiwa dudes!" Japan by mad4travel
Japan Travel Guide: 19,395 reviews and 53,581 photos
This is my third trip to Japan. I've been to Tokyo twice before on business and wanted to see more of the country.
This trip took me to the old capital Kyoto, Hiroshima, Miyajima Island, Takayama and the Japanese Alps and of course, crazy old Tokyo.
What I like most about Japan is it has such a strong sense of identity. It embraces the new but does'nt lose the old.
It can be a baffling place, both in the sense that there is not much english around and its easy to get lost or that there are so many social niceties and customs you can fall foul of without even knowing it.
Fortunately for us westerners the japanese are very friendly and helpful and very forgiving when you do something they consider rude (blowing your nose in public is a case inpoint which is regarded to be as bad as we would regard loud farting in public! Apparantly sniffing is much better(!)
Where should I start!
The cleanliness, no litter and graffitti
The safeness of the country
The weirdness of the place yet with such strange familiarity
The fact that visiting Tokyo is like being on the film set of Blade Runner
The beautiful attention to detail in their food, goods and packaging.
The beautiful temples and shrines and japanese gardens.
I have to admit it but try as I may I can't really get on with Japanese food. I don't like fish or shellfish and that is a major limiting factor.
I've tried to go vegetarian but find their vegetables a bit slimy. I've found refuge in Yakitori but there is only so much chicken on skewers and rice you can eat on one trip.
So I have to admit to being a foodie philistine and diving into the nearest McDonalds (shame on me!)
- Pros:High tech and tradition co-exist. People are great
- Cons:The food. Squat Toilets, come on you are a 1st world country now!
- In a nutshell:Weird and most definitely wonderful!
In the afternoon of the second day of the festival there was a parade with many of the locals wearing lots of different... more travel advice
I was lucky enough to be in the town of Takayama in the Japanese Alps when the 2 day Spring festival was on. The town... more travel advice
mad4travel's Related Pages
Japan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LAND AND NATURE OF JAPAN"
- "Japan has, what you've never experienced"
- "Nihon sugoi desu! (Japan is wonderful!)"
- "High Culture & Modernity"
- "Japan, My Friends, Our Trip...."
- "Paul's Journey Through Japan"
- "Tadaima!! (I came back!!)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Japan
- Hotels in Japan
- Transportation in Japan
- Nightlife in Japan
- Restaurants in Japan
- Shopping in Japan
- Warnings and Dangers in Japan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Japan
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Japan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Japan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 42 reviews, 64 photos
- Turkey Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 32 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Egypt Intro, 28 reviews, 37 photos
- Namibia Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos
- Tibet Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
- Jordan Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
No friends yet.
Top Japan hotels
- Tokyo Hotels
- 3930 Reviews - 9308 Photos
- Osaka Hotels
- 848 Reviews - 2363 Photos
- Okinawa Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Narita Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 237 Photos
- Shinjuku Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 261 Photos
- Takayama Hotels
- 119 Reviews - 396 Photos
- Nagoya Hotels
- 398 Reviews - 1054 Photos
- Hiroshima Hotels
- 368 Reviews - 898 Photos
- Kobe Hotels
- 183 Reviews - 547 Photos
- Yokohama Hotels
- 268 Reviews - 783 Photos
- Nikko Hotels
- 258 Reviews - 763 Photos
- Nara Hotels
- 221 Reviews - 909 Photos
- Hakone Hotels
- 100 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Fukuoka Hotels
- 257 Reviews - 463 Photos
- Sasebo Hotels
- 119 Reviews - 209 Photos