Vienna Off The Beaten Path Tips by Redang
Vienna Off The Beaten Path: 489 reviews and 942 photos
Soviet War Memorial (Vienna, Austria)
This monument was erected in 1.945 It was built in 1945 to commemorate the 17.000 Soviet soldiers that died in the course of the "Battle for Vienna".
Metro: Karlsplatz (line: U1, U2 and U4).
St. Mary on the Strand (Vienna, Austria)
I was hanging aroun Vienna and I happened to find this very interesting church.
The church was mentioned in documents from 1.158. The present building was built between 1.394 and 1.414 in gothic style, and it is said that there was a wooden church there in the 9th century, which served as a place of worship for fishermen and sailors.
Where: Salvatorgasse, 12
Votive Church (Vienna, Austria)
Forst of all, I'd like to say that many times we have (at least I do) problems deciding about where to post a tip: Things to do, off the beaten path, local customs...
Well, in this case, I think this church is not too well known. When I visited it, I was almost alone, maybe two more people or so, and I want to point out that this church, at least from my point of view, is a must in Vienna a good traveller, as I think all of us are, must not miss.
The church plans were established in an architectural competition in April of1.854. Neo-Gothic style.
Where: Roodeveltplatz, 8
From the City Hall, leaving it on your left, walk along Reichsratstrasse for no more than 5 minutes, and there it is.
Other Contact: E. mail: email@example.com
Phone: (+43) (1) 408 11 92
Loos Hais (Vienna,, Austria)
Built in 1.909 by Adolf Loos, it is in the back of the Imperial Palace, and Emperor Franz Joseph ordered to draw all he curtains not to see this building.
Where: Michaelerplatz, 3
Has Haus (Vienna, Austria)
Built in 1.990 exactly in front of the Cathedral, this controversial building houses shops and a restaurant.
Where: St. Stephansplatz
Metro: Stephansplatz (lines U1 and U3).
The "Fathers" of Austria (Vienna, Austria)
These 3 people were the "fathers" of the Republic of Austria, founded in 1.918 after WW I and after the end of the Austrian Empire.
Where? Dr. Karl-Remmer Ring, on the right of the Parliament.
Stadtbahn Pavilions (Vienna, Austria)
Otto Wagner built some pavilions (now, there are jut two), for the Stadtbahn, a rail service running underground in some sections, as an elevated system in others, around 1900.
One of them is used as entrance for the metro as well as for temporary exhibitions while the other one houses a cafeteria.
Karlsplatz, in front of the church of St. Charles/Karlskirche.
Metro: Karlsplatz (lines U1, U2 and U4).
Vienna Secession (Austria)
Let me offer you some excerpt taken from the net to explain to you the History of both, the building and the movement behind the Secession:
"The Vienna Secession was founded on 3 April 1.897 by a number of artists who broke their ties with Künstlerhaus, the association and gallery of Vienna's art establishment which they considered intolerably conservative, seceded and formed a new art association with the name of Secession and the motto, "To the Age, its Art. To Art, its Freedom."
Some exhibitions take place here.
Metro: Karlsplatz (U1, U3 and U4).
Other Contact: E. mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (+43) 587 53 07
More Reviews (32)
- See All Stadtpark/City Park
- See All An option
- See All Café Sacher Vienna
Redang's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- "Still a city of dreams"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Explore the World
- Railway Stations
- Maratea Off The Beaten Path
- North Georgia Mountains & Waterfalls
- Bilbao Off The Beaten Path
- Marseille Off The Beaten Path
- Bansko Off The Beaten Path
- Ulcinj Off The Beaten Path
- Southampton Off The Beaten Path
- North Yorkshire Off The Beaten Path
- Barcelos Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 40 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 35 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Travel forum"
- Commented on one of cpiers47's Vienna travel pages
- Wrote a Review Heldendenkmal der Roten Armee/Soviet War Memorial in Vienna Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Heldendenkmal der Roten Armee/Soviet War Memorial"
- updated a Vienna Travel Page "Vienna"
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (124)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 195 reviews, 521 photos, 11 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 77 reviews, 240 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Intro, 85 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 61 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 55 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 62 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sevilla Intro, 39 reviews, 143 photos
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 124 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Vienna hotel reviews
- Hotel Zipser
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Mercure City
- 153 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Arcotel Wimberger
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Blue Corridor Hostel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2011
- Pharmador Pension
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2013
- Pension Elisabeth
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 28, 2013
- Pension Arian
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Believe It Or Not
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2011
- Hotel Boltzmann
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel Rustler
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2011
- Austria Trend Hotel Savoyen Vienna
- 205 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Pension Madara 2
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Am Lerchenfeld Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 19, 2010
- Austria Classic Schlosshotel Oth
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Hofburg- 231 Reviews, 503 Photos
- Stephansdom- 234 Reviews, 469 Photos
- Schonbrunn- 291 Reviews, 543 Photos
- Belvedere- 171 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Hundertwasser- 111 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Ringstrasse- 174 Reviews, 286 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 95 Reviews, 171 Photos
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - KHM- 55 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Oper - Staatsoper- 96 Reviews, 161 Photos
- Jewish Vienna- 30 Reviews, 66 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do