Coimbra Off The Beaten Path Tips by Redang Top 5 Page for this destination
Coimbra Off The Beaten Path: 21 reviews and 34 photos
Pátio da Inquisição (Coimbra, Portugal)
Pátio da Inquisição or Patio/Yard of the Inquisition is the group of buildings of historical and architectural interest, where the Holy Office of the Inquisition functioned from 1.566 until it finished in 1.821.
How to get there? From Praça 8 de Maio, leave tha Cámara Municipal (City Hall) on your rigth, cross Rúa Olimpo Nicolau Rui Fernandes and turn right along this street, then, turn left taking Rúa Pedro Rocha, and there it is.
Torre de Anto (Coimbra, Portugal)
Anto Tower was formerly called Ameal Tower, and it was part of the city walls in the medieval times. This tower was transformed into a three-storey house at the beginning of the 16th century.
Address: Rúa Sub Ripas.
How to get there: Follow the explanation I gave in the previous tip and cross under the Torre da Contenda (Quarrel Tower), and there it is.
Torre da Contenda (Coimbra, Portugal)
The Torre da Contenda (Quarrel Tower) was sold to João Vaz in 1.514 who built a palace (Paço de Sobre Ripas)partly over the old tower.
Address: Rúa Sub Ripas.
How to get there: From Rúa Ferreira Borges, croos under Torre de Almedina (on your right) and turn left to Patio do Castilho and keep walking up for a few meters until you reach Rúa Sub Ripas, then, turn left.
Igreja de S. Bartolomeu (Coimbra, Portugal)
Originally built in the 10th century, it was transformed in the 12th and 18th centuries.
Address: Praça do Comércio.
Colégio da Nossa Senhora da Graça (Coimbra, Pt)
It was founded by King D. João III in 1.543 and it belonged to the Hermits of St. Agostinho.
Address: Rúa da Sofia.
From Praça 8 de Maio, walk along the mentioned street, and you will find it on the right side.
Colégio e Igreja de N. Senhora do Carmo (Coimbra)
This College was founded in 1.542 by the Bishop D. Frei Baltazar Limpo, and the Bishop of Portalegre, Friar Amador Arrais had the church built in 1.597.
Address: Rúua da Sofia, 114
From Praça 8 de Maio, just walk along the street (rúa); the church is on the right.
Phone: (+351) 239 82 29 38
Walking along Rúa Olimpio Nicolau Rui Ferandes, I found these beautiful mosaics representing some icons of Coimbra.
- 1st: Universidade (s. XVI a XVIII)
- 2nd: Igreja de Santa Cruz (s. XII)
- 3rd: Sé Velha (s. XII)
- 4th: Sé Nova (s. XVI)
- 5th: Igreja de S. Tiago (s. XII)
How to get there? From Praça 8 de Maio, leave the Cámara Municipal (City Hall) on your right and round the corner, this street shows up. Then, walk for about 200 m., and on the left side of the street, opposite the Mercado D. Pedro V.
Parque Dr. Manuel Braga (Coimbra, Portugal)
Nice park along the Mondego river with some terraces to enjoy a coffee and the river.
How to get there? From Largo da Portagem, leaving the river on your right and the Ponte de Santa Clara onwards.
More Reviews (31)
Redang's Related Pages
Coimbra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coimbra - A city to discover"
- "Coimbra is wonderful city."
- "A Portuguese Gem"
- "Coimbra through my eyes..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coimbra
- Hotels in Coimbra
- Transportation in Coimbra
- Nightlife in Coimbra
- Restaurants in Coimbra
- Shopping in Coimbra
- Warnings and Dangers in Coimbra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coimbra
- 39 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Coimbra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coimbra
Photos in CoimbraSee All Photos (100)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 195 reviews, 521 photos, 11 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 77 reviews, 240 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Intro, 85 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 61 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 55 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 62 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sevilla Intro, 39 reviews, 143 photos
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 124 photos