"San Lorenzo de El Escorial" Top 5 Page for this destination San Lorenzo de El Escorial by Redang

San Lorenzo de El Escorial Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 305 photos

Breathtaking Royal Monastery

San Lorenzo de El Escorial (from now on I will say just San Lorenzo) is just 50 kms. away from Madrid. So, a day trip is highly recommended.

In Madrid, we always say El Escorial because is much shorter, but keep in mind that there is another town called El Escorial which is just a few kilometers away and both towns share the same railway station.

The Monastery is not just a Basilica but a pantheon, palace, library and gardens as well.

The town offers concerts, exhibitions and a lively culture life, and don't leave it without strolling the beautiful streets.

King Felipe II, under whose reign the Monastery was built.

The surroundings are great for trekking and some winter resorts are close such as Puerto de Navacerrada.

• Last visit to San Lorenzo de El Escorial: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2007

Travelogues (1)

• Minceta's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Qué belleza!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM

The monastery and its art treasures looks beautiful and definitely worth a day trip from Madrid. The hiking possibilities looks good too!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Jan 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Thank you Santi! I absolutely want to visit one day in the future!

• Redang's Profile Photo
      Jan 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM

You will be soooooooo welcome!

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 6:43 AM

Thanks Santi- Will d/l these to my trip planner. Looking forward to you showing us around San Lorenzo. Best Wishes Sue

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I'm glad I took a few minutes to look through your San Lorenzo de El Escorial page again, it brought back some great memories :o) Thanks again for showing Nico and I around!!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Thank you Santi for the virtual tour to a place which I wanted to visit for a long time! I missed it during my short trip around Spain in 2006. May be next time...

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Thanks a lot for the postcard Santi! The monastery definitely is impressive!

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Now i can share my stuffs too but surely not good as yours. Anyway, i enjoyed my short time there. By the way, how come you made those photos when in fact it is not allowed? I doubt you captured it secretly ;) Cheers!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Yes!!! Hotel Miranda & Suizo was the place where we had delicious hot chocolate. Yummy :)

• evona's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Great page Santi. It`s bringing nice memories :)

• KiNyA's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 12:15 PM

sabes que me han accedido el estudio en espanya!!! probablemente en valladolid para 9 meses!!

Redang

“Travelling: Maybe the best way to spend your money.”

Badges & Stats in San Lorenzo de El Escorial

Have you been to San Lorenzo de El Escorial?