"Santiago de Compostela" Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela by Redang
Santiago de Compostela Travel Guide: 715 reviews and 2,281 photos
Santiago de Compostela was declared a World Heritage City by UNESCO in 1.985 for its urban beauty and monumental integrity, as well as the profound echoes of its spiritual significance as an apostolic sanctuary and the destination of the Middle Ages' most important religious and cultural movement: El Camino de Santiago (The Way of St. James pilgrimage).
Until the 9th century, the city of Santiago did not exist as such. However, archaeological excavations have shown that the present-day location of the old town was the site, in antiquity, of a Roman town that acquired certain importance and remained until the 7th century, forming part of the Swabian kingdom during some time. In the 1st century, alongside the walled enclosure of the Roman “civitas”, a pagan mausoleum was erected that subsequently gave rise to the cathedral. It has been demonstrated that, in that same century, three Christian martyrs were buried in the mausoleum, which became an established centre of worship, as shown by the nearby Christian cemetery that was used until the 7th century.
Second pic: Main nave of the Cathedral.
Apart from the amazing Cathedral, it's a great experience to stroll the narrow and lovely streets.
Third pic: Ruela de Entrecercas.
Note: Santiago de Compostela is in Galicia, northwest of Spain.
Renaissance style, Arbishop ordered to built it in the 17th century. Where? In front of Parque de La Alameda. more travel advice
Baroque style, it was built in 1.759. Since 1.995, this palace houses the Fundación (Foundation) Eugenio Granell with... more travel advice
- See All Streets of Santiago (9/9): Rúa da Troia
- See All Gaiteros (Pipers)
- See All By Car: How Far/How Long...?
Redang's Related Pages
Santiago de Compostela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walking the Camino Frances in May 2012"
- "Camino Frances" (Part Two)"
- "Santiago de Compostela"
- "Santiago de Compostela - Winter and Summer"
- "Santiago: A piece of magic"
- "Meine Ausruestung fuer meinen naechsten Camino"
- "Santiago de Compostela- 2004 JUBILEE year"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago de Compostela
- Hotels in Santiago de Compostela
- Transportation in Santiago de Compostela
- Nightlife in Santiago de Compostela
- Restaurants in Santiago de Compostela
- Shopping in Santiago de Compostela
- Warnings and Dangers in Santiago de Compostela
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santiago de Compostela
- 62 Reviews
- 147 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Santiago de Compostela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago de Compostela
- Commented on one of Redang's Santiago de Compostela tips
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Travel forum"
- updated a Santiago de Compostela Travel Page "Santiago de Compostela"
- Wrote a Review Colexio de San Clemente de Pasantes in Santiago de Compostela Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Colexio de San Clemente de Pasantes"
Photos in Santiago de CompostelaSee All Photos (147)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 195 reviews, 521 photos, 11 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 77 reviews, 240 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Intro, 85 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 61 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 55 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 62 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sevilla Intro, 39 reviews, 143 photos
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 124 photos