"Bangkok" Bangkok by gib157
Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,710 reviews and 24,271 photos
I touched down in Bangkok not knowing what to think really, but it was mad. I got 3 nights free in the Pinnacle Hotel on RamaIV with my flight so I went straight from the airport to the hotel. All I remember is traffic and endless amounts of huge concrete over and under-passes. ( When I returned to Bangkok from KO Chang we must have been under a concrete motorway for a good 40km. It was huge and I couldnt help thinking that it wouldve been cheaper to build it alongside?)
When we stopped at a traffic light a little girl came up to the window selling flowers to hang on the rear-view mirror. Bearing in mind we were on a huge 6 lane iner-city road!
The next day I was taken to a tailors and sorted out a suit for myself and some other bits and bobs and then I went to Ko San Road. I hated it at first. THe heat was horrible and the noise and traffic pollution was intense. All I wanted was some water but then somehow I got dragged off on a typical 20 baht tuk tuk trip to everywhere apart from somewhere useful - i.e. a tailors, a jewellery shop and severall bad temples where strange men trying to get you to buy jewels lurked. It was all a bit of a shock and I couldnt wait to get away.
HOwever when I returned after almost 6 weeks I really enjoyed myself. THis time I stayed on KO San ROad itself and I spent so much time wandering up and down the street buying clothes and nicknaks, I had to buy an extra bag aswell. Having experienced the Thai culture a little as well as Chaing Mai I came back feeling a lot more comfortbale and so I was comfortable with the touts, I knew what food I liked and how to bargan whilst still laughing and smiling with the locals.
- Pros:Buzzing city, Ko San road
- Cons:Noise, terrible air pollution problems, scams
- In a nutshell:A totally intense city, but better the 2nd time round
I found that Tuk Tuk's were the most fun way of getting around Bangkok. They are smaller and agile so can weave through... more travel advice
Ok so yes everyone goes there, but why not. It may be overcrowded and ridiculously western but its worth a visit. The... more travel advice
gib157's Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
Photos in BangkokSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Sukhothai Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 4 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gibraltar Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ko Lanta Noi Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pai Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mae Hong Son Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ko Phangan Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ko Tao Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.