"Around the world" StephanB's Profile
Well, we did it! We sold almost everything we owned, quit our jobs, and embarked on a trip around the world. We don't know how long it will last, (to date, 5 years) or where it will take us, but as they say, it's the journey, not the destination that will define this adventure. Our trip started in Turkey, then down to South Africa and Mozambique, back up to England and Spain, then finishing up in Morocco. We came back to the states for a couple months to take care of some family matters and give our daughter Annika some down time. We then set off for S.E. Asia. We started in Thailand, and have visited Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, New Zealand, and finally the Cook Islands for a little pampering after a long haul.
We just couldn't stop traveling. The more destinations we visit, the more we get entrenched in this lifestyle. We have just returned from our 9 month stint through South America. We visited Ecuador, Columbia, Bolivia, Peru, Brazil, and Argentina.
Maybe someday we'll know what we want to do when we grow up, but I hope it doesn't come at the expense of the happiness we have found. We have never been more connected, or felt as free as we do right now. We can't wait to hit the road again.
Everybody keeps asking us when, and where, we are going to settle down. I don't even know what the term "settle down" means to us anymore. We have had a tough time fitting in to the culture and lifestyle that we both grew up with. I believe that our past 5 years of travel have forever changed this aspect of our lives.
We currently live in Ubud, Bali. My daughter goes to a great little community school Pelangi that is a wonderful environment for my child. I am starting a villa project in the Ubud area this year, and my wife is pregnant with triplets! Wow! Life will really be an adventure now.
We take something with us from every country we visit. We got more than we bargained for with Turkey. This was our first country on our adventure, and it's still my favorite. It has everything. History, ruins, scenery, beaches, and best of all the people.
Spain has been my wife's favorite country so far. We liked everything about it. We both agree that we could be happy living here. The lifestyle, the cities, the art...Everything was our pace and style.
We only were in Morocco for a couple of weeks, but it made a lasting impression on us. There was an energy in the cities that was almost magical. I only wish we had planned more time to explore the outer edges.
Vietnam was a cooky and whacky place. Many ups and downs, but we enjoyed (almost) every minute of the ride. Many would argue this, but it still has kept it's unique flavor despite the influx of tourist over the past 10 years. If you can get past the little nuances, you can't help but fall for the place. We plan to go back and explore the southern half.
Despite all the devastating poverty, combined with what these people have endured over the past 30 years, it is amazing how genuinely friendly cambodians are. We were not just blown away by Angkor Wat, but the people had the same type of affect on us.
No people for 7 days. The perfect trip.
This beautiful hike up to a glacier in Glacier National Park, Montana is the most incredible place I have ever visited. I did this same hike when I was 12 years old with my family. My wife and I agreed that we both want our ashes scattered over the glacier at the end of this hike. (That's my will, your all witnesses) I have been to most of the national parks in the US, and Glacier is still my favorite. These early camping trips around the US and beautiful Canada gave us the bug for travel.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 126 Reviews
- 395 Photos
- 13 Countries
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- StephanB and kiwi are now friends.
- updated a Turkey Travelogue "Cappadocia, another world"
updated their Profile Page "Around the world"
- Posted in Travel Ubud Forum "Re: Relocating from Canada to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Around the world"
- Wrote a Review Side trip to Salamina in Colombia Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on keida84's profile page
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ecuador Intro, 14 reviews, 33 photos
- Colombia Intro, 4 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Morocco Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Thailand Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambodia Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22507 Reviews - 55085 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23331 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15666 Reviews - 31356 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 897 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3730 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10316 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12025 Reviews - 26772 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos