"Learning to Sail" Grand Lake Towne by USAHeartland

Grand Lake Towne Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos

Like Slocum

Early in 2007 I decided to learn how to sail, quite the ambition for someone who had never been on a sailboat before, not to mention the fact I live in Kansas which is not exactly known for sailing (or water).

On the other hand, I have always been taken by the sea. After reading Joshua Slocum's book "Sailing Alone Around the World" (Joshua Slocum was the first to sail around the world solo, in the years 1895-1898) I knew I had to try my hand at sailing. And so, I have now spent two weekends at Grand Lake in Oklahoma learning how to sail. So far, I have earned three sailing certifications through the American Sailing Association, and I have plans to earn four more.

My dream is to one day sail around the world, taking the same path Joshua Slocum did those many years ago.

This is the wonderful 34 ft. O'day I sailed during the class in September. She handles beautifully - stiff, weatherly, and fast - and was a joy to sail. I spent two nights sleeping aboard and was quite comfortable.

The Real Captain

Captain Debbie Graham is my instructor at Grand Lake, and I am grateful for her patience and invaluable instruction during my two classes with her. She is a Coast Guard rated Captain, and a tremendously skilled sailor, especially when it comes to single handing (sailing solo). When not sailing on Grand Lake, she enjoys sailing the British Virgin Islands. Oh, and Debbie also happens to be consistently one of the American Sailing Association's top instructors.

While Grand Lake may not sound like much, Debbie will tell you that if you can sail Grand Lake you will be well prepared for almost all other conditions. The reason being is there is a constant threat of land, boat traffic from all directions, and weather can change very quickly. I experienced this first hand during one day of class where in the span of just two hours we had two different rain showers, and the wind changed directions 180 degrees, twice. It certainly kept us on our toes, but was also very exciting!

• Last visit to Grand Lake Towne: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 23, 2007

Comments

USAHeartland

“The world is a book, and one who does not travel reads only a page.”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Grand Lake Towne

Have you been to Grand Lake Towne?

Latest Activity in Grand Lake Towne