Winterswijk Local Custom Tips by mary2u99
Winterswijk Local Customs: 2 reviews and 8 photos
In Netherlands the feast of "Sinterklaas" or "Saint Nicolas" is celebrated on 5 December. He was a bishop who lived some centuries ago. He saved three children and was made a saint for his goodness. , "Sinterklaas" on his horse and his helper "zwarte piet" go over the rooftops to the houses to bring gifts for the children who have been good.
During the weeks before the feast children put their shoe by the fireplace put a letter or a drawing for Sinterklaas or some carrots for his horse they also sing some Sinterklaas songs and the next morning they find some candy in their shoe.
The traditional things to eat and drink with Sinterklaas are chocolate initials, pepernoten. Speculaas, a kind of cookie only bigger made with cinnamon and clove.
It is also traditions to drink: Bishops wine(Red wine with sugar, cinnamon and clove). You can also drink it hot.
We went to pick Sinterklaas at the train station late November with all the kids it was a really nice experience to see all the kids with their costume and face paints. I must say I do feel like a kid too then.
More Reviews (11)
mary2u99's Related Pages
Winterswijk Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Winterswijk
- Hotels in Winterswijk
- Nightlife in Winterswijk
- Restaurants in Winterswijk
- Shopping in Winterswijk
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lido di Iesolo Hotels
- Anglesborough Hotels
- Kampong Bagan Lalang Hotels
- Kostromskaya Oblast'
- Laguna Cobá Hotels
Badges & Stats in Winterswijk
- 12 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Winterswijk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winterswijk
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuantan Intro, 25 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sandakan Intro, 13 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Winterswijk Intro, 12 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 12 reviews, 54 photos
- Melaka Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krabi Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos