"Winterswijk" Winterswijk by mary2u99

Winterswijk Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 80 photos

Winterswijk

This is the first time that I travel to this part of The Netherlands. From Schiphol to Winterswijk West. (Cost Euro21.70 for second class single ticket)

My friend was like, I hope you get on the right train and call me if you get lost. Of course the journey was not on one train but I have to change 3 trains to get here and I did. I am glad to see my friend was waiting for me at the station.

Winterswijk

Surprisingly for a small town they have 2 train stations one is called Winterswijk West and the other Winterswijk Centrum.

Maybe it's not really a small town after all but most places are walking distance from my friend's apartment like the market place, pubs, restaurants, town centre and supermarkets all within 10 minutes walk.

This is the town that produces famous composer and conductor Willem van Otterloo which was born in Winterswijk in 1907; contemporary poet and writer Gerrit Komrij in 1944.

I really love the weather here well for November it was very nice and warm and the only time we had bad weather and storm was in January and it got a bit colder too around 7C in the daytime but of course I did not get my White Christmas or white New Year.

The fireworks in this town during the eve of New Year is very beautiful and we were so excited to see which neighbour can match or beats the other with their fireworks display.

• Pros:Friendly people and great company
  • In a nutshell:Small town with A Big Heart
  • Last visit to Winterswijk: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2009

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Have a great X-mas too! I have to check why you made this page. See you around. PJ

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Nice celebration of St. Nicholas :) Another cool page.

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Thanks Mary for the info...Nice photo esp. your cute cat!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 5:48 AM

mhh yeah... so this is your little secret corner of holland... when r u going back? hugs from us to the three of you.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Wow! More tradionally Dutch you cannot get your holiday! So funny to see your friend truly made you be in the Netherlands. Happy to see you liked it. Greetings, Paul

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Cool enough. (~_~)

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 10:48 AM

I guess the pub would be my refuge in this town, the wurstels look really awfull!

mary2u99 Used To Live Here!

mary2u99

“Nothing is impossible!”

Badges & Stats in Winterswijk

Have you been to Winterswijk?

Latest Activity in Winterswijk