"Malacca - Where it all begins!" Melaka by mary2u99
Melaka Travel Guide: 1,692 reviews and 4,379 photos
The government has set the standard as "Melaka" for all official use. Melaka previously known as Malacca.
Melaka has an International airport at Batu Berendam but only catering to flights from Indonesia. There's no flight from KLIA though.
Melaka was founded by Parameswara (or Raja Iskandar) a Srivijayan prince of Palembang who fled Sumatra following a Majapahit in 1396.
According to a popular legend, while resting under a tree near a river when hunting, one of his dogs cornered a mouse deer and the mouse deer pushed the dog into the river. Parameswara decided to name the place Melaka as the name of the tree that he was resting under.
In 1511, it fell to Portuguese, followed by the Dutch in 1641 after a fierce battle. In 1795, Melaka was given to the British to prevent it falling to the French when the Netherlands was captured during the Napoleonic Wars. It was returned to the Dutch in 1818 under the treaty of Vienna but was later exchanged by the British for Bangkahulu, Sumatra.
Today the most prominent reminders of the Europeans' presence in Melaka are A Famosa and St. Paul's Church, The Stadthuys, a strikingly pink town hall which is today the oldest Dutch building in the Far East and red Christ Church, constructed with pink bricks imported from Holland and covered with local red lacerite.
Melaka produce different cultures from intermingling of the Malays, Chinese, Indians, Babas and Nyonyas, Portuguese, Chitty and the Eurasians.
Babas and Nyonyas are Melaka's straits-born Chinese or Peranakans (meaning "born here"). From these mixed marriages evolved a unique culture which retains Chinese customs and Malay traditions.
- In a nutshell:Where it all begins!
Open since the 1950s, Capitol Satay Celup is a modest establishment of two shop lots with tiled floors and spacious... more travel advice
We drove out of A'famosa Resort to have our dinner. We drove to Tamping which is 4 km from the resort. We had chinese... more travel advice
mary2u99's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- "Melaka - Malaysia's historical centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 19 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
Photos in MelakaSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuantan Intro, 25 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sandakan Intro, 13 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Winterswijk Intro, 12 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 12 reviews, 54 photos
- Melaka Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krabi Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos